Smoker as turkey warmer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oscar

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Central New York
Good morning to both the thankful and the not so much....long story short: sister-in-law's oven quit last night. Thanksgiving is now at our place. Turkey cooked in our oven is now at 163. I'm charged with keeping it warm until 1. Smoker was suggested, which I can do. Stick burner is started. I thought 200 indirect for the duration. (Heavily foiled and in pan with juices). Or I can go borrow a Cambro type warming box and treat it as you would a brisket at rest. Five hours seems a bit much for that, but never done this with a turkey. Thoughts?

200 would be too high. I think the cambro would be the way to go...like around 170.

Ryan
Happy Thanksgiving!

Change of plans. This has turned into a shitshow. They had the probe in the wrong part of the bird. Turns out it was only at 125, but they kicked it out of the oven to make sides. So now I am finishing on the smoker.....with a deadline. I hate deadlines.

Reactions: Marknmd
They can always have chicken mcnuggetts if the turkey isn't done on time to their liking! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: 912smoker
That's funny Ray, cuz the green bean casserole is my wife's yearly contribution, and I can't stand the stuff. Turkey's coming good, and a fresh, dry rubbed backstrap just snuck it's way into the smoker, in case the bird isn't up to snuff. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Maybe it's not an ideal situation, but I think that may work in your favor. I think it's easier to cook a turkey then to keep one warm. Depending on the deadline - make your adjustments to the smokers temp. If you're short on time. Crank the heat up and tent the bird when you get the color your looking for. If your ahead of schedule then lower the temp a bit. Don't let life ruffle your feathers. Relax, take things in stride and enjoy yourself.

Happy thanksgiving and good luck

Chris

Hope it all turns out for you! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Ryan

There was debate as to where to probe the bird. Had three of the womenfolk standing there, cc door open, letting all the heat out, poking the bird in every imaginable place. I had my hunting vest and shotgun handy, so I put the vest on, grabbed the gun, and walked off toward the woods without a word. They freaked. I am now the only cook. Didn't even have to threaten them with mcnuggets!

Chris, you were right. Finishing the turkey was probably easier than keeping it warm. Went from 125 to finished in three plus hours and turned out well. The star, however, was the gravy. Never had turkey gravy made with smoked drippings before. One elderly aunt ordered "Bring me some bread and some of that gravy. We've never done it like that, but I want some more". Doesn't get better than that. We have a new tradition.

Chris, you were right. Finishing the turkey was probably easier than keeping it warm. Went from 125 to finished in three plus hours and turned out well. The star, however, was the gravy. Never had turkey gravy made with smoked drippings before. One elderly aunt ordered "Bring me some bread and some of that gravy. We've never done it like that, but I want some more". Doesn't get better than that. We have a new tradition.
My sister insists on making the turkey every year. I smoked one years ago that she really liked but she says she wants gravy even tho I tell her I can catch the drippings... Anyway, I smoked a turkey breast a while back and made and froze turkey broth from the carcass; I used most of it in a chicken stew but gave her about a pint to use in her gravy. The gravy had a nice smokey flavor and was some of the best I recall ever having!

The chicken stew was last week and it had a nice smokey flavor too but since it was finished in a cast iron pot over a wood fire, I couldn't fully attribute the smoke to the turkey broth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky