smokehouse design principles?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ty520

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
I could have sworn there was a thread somewhere here on this, but for the life of me, i cannot find it. maybe i am just imagining it, and these guidelines aren't documented?

I am trying to find more concise and detailed principles for designing and building a smokehouse: optimal volumes and dimensions of the house, smoke and fire boxes, diameter and distances of the flue, material considerations, and the proportions each element work together...etc

I recently purchased the Marianski bros book on building smokehouses but wasn't quite was i was hoping for.

Last edited:
Not much to build a smokehouse. Your not building a rocket.

mysmh6.jpg

If you are talking about a reverse flow pit, daveomak daveomak has a thread with all those calculations up here on SMF somewhere.
I believe he aims to build a smokehouse along the lines like you have which is why I tagged you guys who have smokehouses.

Building a smokehouse is pretty straightforward building wise. Most of us don’t do the fire box and flue pipe like the old days because of the time to tend to the fire. Propane or electric or even pellets are more preferred today just for convenience. But I’d be happy to help you along in whichever direction you want to go.

IMG_0208.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky