Smoked wings, take 2!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bangstick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
South Carolina
So I tried some smoked wings shortly after buying my new Woodwind from Camp Chef and they didn't turn out as desired. The meat was awesome but the skin was rubbery. So, after asking some questions to the fine folks on this forum, I gave smoked wings another shot.

After rinsing the whole wings, patting them dry and letting them sit on a rack for a couple of hours, I added my rub and let them sit on a rack for about two hours.

After sitting with the rub, I put them on the Woodwind smoker. It was set on the "high smoke" setting (around 225). I let them smoke until internal temp reach 165 degrees (right around 1hr 15min). After reaching the desired internal temp, I pulled them and placed them back on the rack (the rack had been cleaned of course) and headed for the deep fryer.

The deep fryer (filled with peanut oil) was set at 365 degrees. I fried the wings (only four at a time because my fryer isn't that big....don't over-fill your fryer) for exactly 3 minutes and then pulled them and put them back on the rack to drain.

I'm not much of a sauce or condiment guy so I tried a couple of wings "au naturel" but I did whip up a concoction of teriyaki and sweet Thai chili sauce and tossed a couple of wings in the sauce. I'm not a big "Buffalo wing sauce" guy. The "naked" wings were great. The skin was crispy and the meat was moist and flavorful. The ones with the sauce were awesome too. A little salty from the teriyaki and a little sweet with some heat from the sweet Thai chili sauce.  

I believe I found my new "methodology" for smoked wings. The evidence is in the last picture.

Thanks to everyone that gave their input on my first smoked wings attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: griz400
looks like you found a good method to please you ... 
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif
takes a while sometimes with new smokers, sorta gettin the kinks out .....

Reactions: bangstick
I appreciate it.

Some folks recommended cranking the heat up on the grill/smoker to get the crispy skin but I really like the smoke penetration the wings get at the lower "smoking temps." 

Everyone was very pleased with these so this "recipe" will go to the books and I'll move on to something new. I have a great pollo a la brasa recipe I've nailed on my Woodwind that I'll post up next.

That's the way we cooked them at the brewpub I worked at.  Smoked a big batch then put in the cooler.  When an order came in, they were flash fried to reheat and crisp the skin.  Still among the best wings I've ever had (not the least because they were jumbos rather than the scrawny things most restaurants serve now).  Sauce was pretty awesome, as well.

Those look tasty! I always smoke mine at 275 for 45min-1hr15 depending on the wings. I then pull them off and toss them on a very hot preheated gas grill for a minute or two per side to crisp up the skin. Seems like this would help speed up your process for crisping skin as you are only doing 4 at a time and having to deal with the drop in oil temp.

I appreciate the tip, Uncle Tork, but when it comes to wing, the "crisp" you get from a grill isn't the same as the "crisp" you get from a fryer. 

I don't get a significant temp drop on my fryer because I'm not dropping cold wings into the oil. My wings went from the smoker straight to the fryer. I only do 4 at a time mainly because I have a small electric fryer. Plus, these were whole wings and not just flats or drums. Had I cut off the tip (and I probably will next time) I could've easily gotten 8 wings in the fryer at once.

I appreciate the tip, Uncle Tork, but when it comes to wing, the "crisp" you get from a grill isn't the same as the "crisp" you get from a fryer. 

I don't get a significant temp drop on my fryer because I'm not dropping cold wings into the oil. My wings went from the smoker straight to the fryer. I only do 4 at a time mainly because I have a small electric fryer. Plus, these were whole wings and not just flats or drums. Had I cut off the tip (and I probably will next time) I could've easily gotten 8 wings in the fryer at once.
If you have a Dutch oven or wok (carbon steel or cast iron), you can use those for deep frying.  Might give more room than whatever you're using now.

If you have a Dutch oven or wok (carbon steel or cast iron), you can use those for deep frying.  Might give more room than whatever you're using now.
​HaHaHa!!! Funny you should say that. So the largest cast iron vessel we have is a monster. It's my wife's big'ol Le Creuset Dutch oven. So, I grabbed it and a gallon of peanut oil and headed for the deck. I was quickly interrupted with "where are you going with that?". When I told her my plan (to fry wings in her big'ol expensive pot, my decision was quickly vetoed. LOL!!!

The size of my fryer isn't that big of a deal. Like I said, once I cut the wing tip off, I'll be able to put at least 8 whole wings in the fryer. If I actually separated the flat from the drum, I could even more in there but I like them whole. If I'm entertaining, I actually fry them to order. That way I can toss the hot from the fryer wings in whatever sauce someone might want and get them to them piping hot.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Haha.  I feel your pain (although not so much now that I'm happily single again 
biggrin.gif
).  

Several years ago I bought a Tramontina 6.5qt enameled cast iron dutch oven from Sam's for about $40. Thing's been a real trooper.  I like it so much a I recently bought a new one when they were on sale for like 30 bucks.  Now I can use the old one as a "beater," and keep the new one for pretty stuff.  Never used a La Creuset, but find it hard to believe they're over $200 better than the Tramontina unless they infuse the food with pixie dust or something.

Of course I also have a couple regular cast iron dutch ovens for using on the smoker, camping, and other really "rough" stuff. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky