Smoked whole birds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Greetings all!

Today I decided to smoke a few chickens. One was seasoned with a homemade rub with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, smoked paprika, garlic, and s&p. The other was seasoned with a store bought honey hickory rub. I heavily seasoned under the skin since I usually do low and slow and the skin is secondary.

29232DC2-5B59-41A8-B389-EC1586E04CFF.jpeg

They went on my charcoal bullet with cherry chunks. I was running a bit lower than normal today- 210-215F. I think this may have been from the lower temps outside since my usual calibration has been when it’s pretty hot outside. But I was fine at this temp so I let it roll.

The odd thing is that it almost felt like I hit a stall....the birds sat at 155F for a while! Their IT was measured by multiple probes. I pulled them at about 158ish without worry since they were there for a while.

Sliced them and served with corn on the cob. My brother didn’t monitor his plate so well so the dog made off with his corn. Otherwise a darn good cook and a nice way to finish the weekend!
0C6AB0A0-8F0F-4272-B0ED-2A27A545B0AA.jpeg

53299738-E298-42B5-8BEA-8186722D4D73.jpeg

Reactions: SmokinAl
Look great!! I plan on doing a cooker fulll of chickens and a few turkey breast soon. Did you brine them?

No brining here. I think I’d do that next time but decide not to for some reason. I thought about spatchcock but wanted them whole.

Interesting note. I bought a fresh chicken for 8.99 but an equivalent pre-spatched chicken was 24!!!

Spatch it your self for free. Damn thats expensive

Agreed! Can’t believe theres that expensive option like that now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky