Smoked Venison heart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Another year and another heart to smoke
IMG_0151(1).jpg

I trim the majority of the fat off and pick a good rub
IMG_0152.jpg

Coated in mustard and the rub was liberally applied
IMG_0153.jpg

Smoked with apple chips at 225-250 for 5 hours, I usually do 4 but got sidetracked
IMG_0154.jpg

The heart came out good and was done a little bit more than usual as I like it to be a little redder . All in all it was quite tasty with crackers and sliced cheddar cheese ! Thanks for looking .CM
IMG_0155.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 4
Another year and another heart to smoke
View attachment 516701
I trim the majority of the fat off and pick a good rub
View attachment 516702
Coated in mustard and the rub was liberally applied
View attachment 516705
Smoked with apple chips at 225-250 for 5 hours, I usually do 4 but got sidetracked
View attachment 516706
The heart came out good and was done a little bit more than usual as I like it to be a little redder . All in all it was quite tasty with crackers and sliced cheddar cheese ! Thanks for looking .CM
View attachment 516711
That is a fine looking heart! I will have to try smoking one. I have always sliced and pickled my hearts.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks great I have a couple in the freezer I didnt know what to do with.

Looks incredible! Great work! Duck hunting we’d always clean the birds and throw hearts in CI with butter and garlic. They were so amazing. Thank you for sharing!

I like to pull my harts at 140IT. I like Oakridge steak seasoning and will try on hart when I harvest deer this season.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky