Smoked Turkey Breast...Very Pic Heavy...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Really nice Charles . Great looking plate . Try the next one boned out .
I like the gravy packs that come with those , usually doctor it up a bit .
Thanks for posting .
Thank you, Rich. The wheels are already spinning for the next one and boning it out is my plan for sure. I really didn't realize that it came with the gravy packet, guess I need to read the labels more closely:emoji_grinning:, so I wasn't really prepared. Next time, I will be...:emoji_wink:

The meal looks delicious!
What I like to do is mix the turkey seasoning with some soft butter and rub it under the skin.
I appreciate your comments, Bruce. When I smoke whole birds, I always put rub under the skin and probably will do that on my next breast...

Great looking meal! And that butter for the corn sounds great!

Jim
Well thank you, Jim. We seem to eat a lot of corn around here when I can get it fresh and it can be a challenge to cook it in a different way that the grands will eat. It won't be long and our local corn will be available...

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking plate Charles. I'll be looking for the corn at my local Food Lion.
Not sure where it was grown, but the corn was pretty good. Soon I hope to be getting my hands on 3-4 bushels of local corn. I have a friend who always lets me know when they're about to pick corn...

Reactions: motocrash
My turn to try it. Reading the recent thread by @cansmoke reminded me that I had one in my freezer that I needed to do something with. So a little bit of searching on here turned up this thread by Rich @chopsaw...

Well the two threads pushed me to get busy so here we go...

The breast, about 6 lbs...
View attachment 666292

Made up Pops brine exactly like Rich posted...
View attachment 666293

Tied up and injected the breast as full as I could and then in the brine overnight...
View attachment 666294
View attachment 666295

Next morning, drained and seasoned with a local salt free rub I had bought and back in the fridge while I go fishing...:emoji_grinning:
View attachment 666296
View attachment 666297

The rub...
View attachment 666298

Fired up the Joe Highland with some maple. Rolling ugly, dirty smoke...
View attachment 666301

Finally it cleaned up and on the breast went at 250℉ for a few hours...
View attachment 666302
View attachment 666303

Meanwhile, I had bought some of the fresh corn from Food Lion that I had posted about for 25¢/ear. I shucked them and removed the silk. Then folded the husks back around them and into a sink of water for a couple of hours...
View attachment 666304
View attachment 666305
While they were soaking, I mixed up some butter...
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • Juice and zest from a lime
  • 1 T smoked paprika
  • 1 T dry cilantro
  • 1 T coarse pepper
View attachment 666306

After a couple of hours in the water bath, I drained them and smeared some of the butter on the ears...
View attachment 666307

Tied them all up with butcher's twine. The 2 with 2 pieces of string have only plain butter for the grands...
View attachment 666308

On the grill for a couple of hours until the breast is ready. Breast is looking good...
View attachment 666309

The breast came with a gravy packet so I decided to use it. It is supposed to be mixed with water, but I used unsalted chicken broth...
View attachment 666310

Breast and corn are done...
View attachment 666311
View attachment 666312
View attachment 666313

Removed each side of the breast from the bone and sliced. It was very juicy...
View attachment 666314
View attachment 666315

Made some rice using chicken broth and some sweet peas for the grands. I had some more of the seasoned butter to put on the corn. Time to eat...
View attachment 666316

If you've stuck with me through all of this, then you've got more willpower than me 🤣. The breast was very juicy and the gravy that came with it, is pretty good. Mashed potatoes would've been better than the rice, but I wasn't running to the store to get some potatoes. The seasoned butter needed a little more lime juice, but I could tell it was there.

Looks delicious!!!! Where you at in South Carolina? I'm in Williamston.

I don't see no stinking gravy. LOL

That plate looks fabulous Charles. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

First off Charles , sorry I missed this , we were busy with the fires, but found it now.

That is a great looking and sounding meal , from start to finish.
Really like your idea with the corn, I will have to try it on a few cobs, But Mona loves her corn boiled and 6 pounds of butter on her plate, ha ha

Yes I would be with the mashed with this plate instead of rice , but that is just me. :emoji_sunglasses:

But than again I am the same as Chris , ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) I don't see the gravy, so no need for the mashed.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

We don't see those turkey breasts around here very often and when we do , I can get a whole turkey cheaper, but I keep checking

Well done Charles

David

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
First off Charles , sorry I missed this , we were busy with the fires, but found it now.
No need for apologies, David. I have been crazy busy with fishing and have missed A LOT on here. With my current schedule, I doubt that I can catch up and for that, I apologize to you and the others who have posted some great threads.
Yes I would be with the mashed with this plate instead of rice
Next time it will be mashed potatoes, for sure...:emoji_wink:

I went back and read your post about the fires and I'm glad that with the exception of the smoke, you're mostly out of the woods. I'd heard about the smoke in the northeast and what it was doing to those folks.

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I went back and read your post about the fires and I'm glad that with the exception of the smoke, you're mostly out of the woods. I'd heard about the smoke in the northeast and what it was doing to those folks.

Thank you Charles for the kind words also.

Yes we were very lucky, many folks lost everything. We were just a little on edge for a while.

And the smoke that came down to the eastern coast from Quebec was very bad also for a lot of other folks also.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky