Smoked Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin vegas

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Smoke a tri tip yesterday on one of the worse days ever. But regardless it turned out so so good!

I brine the tri tip for 2 days in 4 cups of water, 2 teaspoons meat tenderizer Smart and Final Store brand and 2 heaping tablespoons of chopped garlic. I mix one tablespoon of cracked black pepper with 3 tablespoons of my Mesquite Seasoning (ad to the right the plain homely one)  brown and  and put it in the smoker for 6 hours at 200 degrees. I used hickory chips. Love the flavor that the hickory smoke gives the meat.
506cde43_tripmesquite003.jpg
21f86631_tripmesquite004.jpg

3883b40f_tripmesquite015.jpg

I just couldn't stand it had to have a sandwich out of it with my home made mustard. The longer this mustard ages the better it is. Mustard is made out dark ale beer, yellow and brown mustard seeds, honey, and horseradish. HOT!!!!  Proud of that smoke ring hard to get in an electric smoker.

0d8f2e1d_smokedtritip002.jpg

7e07bd84_smokedtritip005.jpg

6dc18dbb_smokedtritip003.jpg
f0fc8e19_smokedtritip004.jpg

Last edited:
I will post the mustard recipe in a few minutes.  Hubby used commerically made mustard the other day.  It was then he really appreicate the homemade.

Good looking TriTip - I have never brined one, what does it do for the roast? 

My old lap top got a nasty virus that had the mustard recipe on it.  Thought I would be able to get it off the computer but the virus damages any file I open.  I really hate these malicious people that go to such great lengths to damage other peoples property.  If that wasn't bad enough they wanted money to fix it!!  I bought a new one rather than give them anything!!!!  I will try to make the mustard from memory and then post the recipe. 

Last edited:
Brining adds moisture to the meat and I added some meat tenderizer to the brine makes the meat really tender.  You can also add spices that flavor the meat in this one I added lots of garlic 2 heaping tablespoons.  So good.

Looks great Ivie...........
icon14.gif
      On my to do list

Joe

Excellent looking meal.

That ceramic dish certainly did it's job.  I'm just guessing, but do they heat up like heat stones, but with sides to catch the drippings?  Were the drippings salvageable to make a gravy or au jus? 

Most of all I'm eyeballing that you set your tray on the lowest shelf which didn't leave room for a drip pan but would cause more heat for the ceramic to radiate.  I'm not questioning your methods other than being curious to your plan.  Plans are what make great BBQ and your plan looks like it succeeded wonderfully.

Shed some light also if you will about the smoke ring.  I've been struggling to get even just a little smoke ring out of my MES.  Any hints in that regard would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

I think putting the meat that close to the heat and smoke helped with the smoke ring.  Doing it in the pottery dish  I did get the yummy drippings, really rich flavor and smokey flavor, best of both smoking & BBQ.   Also at lot less cleanup too!!! I made that dish in pottery class and you are right about it radiating the heat.  I used a clay that has alot of sand in it.  That is about all I use in the smoker is that dish. Two pans came with smoker but I rarely use them.  Thinking about going back to pottery class and making me a couple of more.  I was silly and gave others away to family.    I smoked the tri tip at 200 for 6 hours and added hickory chips (soaked them in water) every hour I need to get one to those amazin smoker thingys.  Think I am going to order one for myself and one for my sister in law. 

Made a baked potato today and put some the tri tip shredded add a little BBQ sauce and green onions on it and popped in the microwave for a minute so good.  Hubby wants one for dinner.  He wanted a sandwich then was sorry he didn't have the Texas Style Baked Potato.   Except I didn't put the cheese and sour cream on it.  Gotta watch the calories.  Will post Qview pics later.

Made a baked potato today and put some the tri tip shredded add a little BBQ sauce and green onions on it and popped in the microwave for a minute so good.  Hubby wants one for dinner.  He wanted a sandwich then was sorry he didn't have the Texas Style Baked Potato.   Except I didn't put the cheese and sour cream on it.  Gotta watch the calories.  Will post Qview pics later.
  The Baked Tater sounds good, looking forward to the pics.

Thanks for the Care Package Ivie, let ya know how they work out.

Ivie, That meat came out really nice!...By the way...I tried your Chicken and Pork Rub and Seasoning on some Baked Chicken Thighs ( no time to smoke, so no pics ). It had a great Balance of flavors was just enough Cumin forward to give the Bird a great Southwest Flavor. Guys, I highly recommend this mix and think it would be great on a Texas Style Brisket too!...JJ

http://www.ivyandherbs.com/index.html

Last edited:
What to do with the left overs other than sammies.  Try this Texas Style Baked Potato like everything else in Texas it's done in a big way.

Start out with your basic baked potato.

360d3f97_texastater004.jpg

shredded the beef mix with BBQ Sauce,  shred some cheese I like Monterey Pepper jack and chop up some green onions

fa8b8144_texastater002.jpg

ac50f38e_texastater006.jpg

00768c5f_texastater007.jpg

Pop in the microwave to heat meat and melt cheese

303ddb3d_texastater009.jpg

Top with Sour Cream or yogurt

4c2c7ecb_texastater012.jpg

Now this is a baked potato to be reckoned with!!!

Last edited:
 SBR's Vidalia Onion BBQ sauce  I haven't heard of that BBQ sauce.  Sounds really good.  I'm not familiar with the acronyms SBR what do they stand for?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky