Smoked Tri-tip with HEAVY Q-View

Discussion in 'Beef' started by teeznuts, Aug 15, 2011.

1. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

Found Tri-tip on sale again so I couldn't resist. Trimmed em up and seasoned one with Lawrys and the other with Montreal Steak seasoning. Hit both with EVOO and in to the pecan smoke. Mixed the juice with Johnny's for dipping. Sliced thin for sammies and served on sweet french rolls with garlic mashed taters. I added some creamy horseradish on the side to swith off with the au jus. Delicious.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Now your talking !

3. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great!

Cali people know their tri tip.

Also, Johnny's sells some decent seasonings for those who don't make their own.  A good Cajun friend turned me on to that one.  I use Johnny's seasoned salt sometimes.  Not bad stuff!

Good luck and good smoking.

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Now that's tri tip heaven right there! [​IMG][​IMG]  Funny I have that same slicer, served me well for almost 10 years. Still works but on a shelf, I got a new one  a while back. 

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. teeznuts

I'll have to look for the seasonings. I rarely make my own. Most of my relatives don't like much heat or kick so its easier to use a mellow store bought product and keep everyone happy. I love the Johnny's au jus so I imagine there seasonings are good too.

6. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man that looks delicious I keep telling my wife we need a slice just for things such as that (one of my favorites)!!!

7. daggerdoggie

daggerdoggie Smoke Blower

That does look great!  Another thing to try.

8. teeznuts

Funny thing about this one is it was from a family Christmas gift exchange approximately 15 years ago and I was bummed when I got it cuz I had no use for it. It sat unopened until 2 years ago when I saw it in storage. Now I'm making up for all the years of non-use and slicing everything in site.

9. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Now that's a great sammie,[​IMG]

Awesome post Nuts,wish I could get a tri tip on the gulf coast [​IMG]

10. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job man.. I love the Johnny's too. I do TriTip with a pan of beef broth under the meat and add Johnny's added at the end to use as a dipping sauce.

11. kid creole

kid creole Fire Starter

What temp is that?  I think some piece of beef cooked to medium rare is going to be my next smoke.

12. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Teez, check out Savemart for Johnny's seasoned salt.  If you can't find it, PM me.

Good luck and good smoking.

13. teeznuts

Thats exactly what I did minus the beef broth. Foil pan caught all the smoky drippings and I added the drippings to the Johnny's. Johnny's and smoky meat drippings is out of this world!

One was 147 and the other was 152. I meant to pull each when they hit 140 but after reading some recent posts on waiting to insert thermometer, I waited a bit too long. When I stuck the thermometers in the one closest to the heat element was 152 and the other was 147. I was worried they would be over done like my last tri-tip smoke when I got distracted and left them on too long     http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109312/tri-tip-with-q-view   , but they were just how I like em. Im still scratching my head at how close the temps from this smoke were to the temps from the last smoke yet luckily the meat came out rarer this time.

14. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

[​IMG]

AWESOME!!!

15. Excellent tri tip just the way i like it[​IMG]

16. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

OMG !!!!

Awesome!!!

Great BearViews too!!!!

"Teeznuts" is right !!!!   You're sure Teasing the Nut at this end!!!!

Thanks,

Bear

17. WOW looks amazing!!!!!!! [​IMG] Makes my tummy start to growl

18. jc1947

jc1947 Smoking Fanatic

[​IMG]Looks awesome!

19. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man I wish I could find Tri Tip for that price around here. There are only a few places that even carry Tri Tip that I can find and they are expensive!

20. shooter1

shooter1 Smoking Fanatic

Great looking Tri-Tip and what a great price!