Beautiful Blue Ridge Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That no e-start was a challenge sometimes on that thumper! Mine would climb like a mountain goat. Torquey!

It can be biotch when it's hot but no probs from cold to warm starts as long as you follow the starting drill with the compression release.And yeah,torque monster.No need to rev high at all with the six speed tranny.I put a Big Gun full exhaust on it,rejetted to the pipe and put (cartridge emulator) Gold Valves in the fork along with raising the tubes in the triple to make her steer sharper/weight the front end more.I set the bike up to work better in these eastern woods since it was designed as a desert racer.

Did a little bush whackin' today on a different machine.76°...rest of the week is supposed to be ,50° for a high,so I seized the opportunity.Though,I'll happily take 50°.
KIMG0681.jpg

Seems like yesterday it had the plow on it. Oh,wait,,it was. I'm headed to the top of the ridge behind my quad.
KIMG0682.jpg

I go to this crag. It's really steep (first gear,low range) getting there but has a flat spot to park. Babbs Run can be seen here also, about 200 yds down at about a 35 - 40° angle.
KIMG0684.jpg
KIMG0685.jpg

Back up on the ridge,you can see the next ridge across the deep stream valley.
KIMG0686.jpg

Went home,fired a starter full of Ridge and made some Winchester Wings. All in all,a nice afternoon/evening.
KIMG0687.jpg

KIMG0688.jpg

Giddy up!

Hmmm, we checked the mail and no invite. I was out on a 423 mile jaunt on the motorcycle yesterday, family business. No decent food along the way so I skipped eating.

Last edited:
Hmmm, we checked the mail and no invite. I was out on a 423 mile jaunt on the motorcycle yesterday. No decent food along the way so I skipped eating. I did hit Ingles on the way home and bought some wings to smoke.
423 miles,hell,you could've been here.I traveled maybe 5 yesterday.Wings,biker food of champeens :emoji_wink:

I covered 4 states ( just the corners) . Started b4 daylight in the rain in NC and up through East Tn, Southwest Va and up into Eastern Ky. Rain quit after Johnson City going up. I know there has to be something better than fast food burgers even though Pals is pretty good, along the way. I've yet to find it.

Last edited:
Nope, or I would have smelled it. One place here in this part of Kentucky. I forced myself to eat there once. Not spend my money there again.

Nice Moto, we used to be able to ride 4-wheelers and dirt bikes thru the country here. Then the State put the kibosh to motorized vehicles on state owned land, and most privately own land is to full of sap lines.

Enjoy

Chris

Went to check on the cool tub today. Just downstream of the exposed bedrock is a 3' deep x 5' round hole that we sit in,in summer of course.
From the ~ 12x10 rock.
KIMG0714.jpg

From the quad.
KIMG0715.jpg

Found the remnants of a coon's midnight snack,pic taken (in situ). Helping themselves,as they should to a large mudbug.Large for here anyway,nothing like @indaswamp gets. But also eating some good breeders.I reckon it's harder for them to see/catch the smaller ones.
KIMG0718.jpg

Found a few turkey feathers too.
KIMG0719.jpg

Cool tub is intact,no big boulders rolled in like in years past. Now we just need the weather and water to warm.:emoji_sunny:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTurtle
My hot rod Honda back at the "cool tub",a little too cool to get in now. Stacked up a new fire pit.
KIMG0738.jpg

Blue Bell patch,just waking up from their winter dormancy. Early riser,upper left.
KIMG0739.jpg

Early riser.
KIMG0740.jpg

Rode a wee wee wheelie,all the way home...

No greenery at 3500 feet yet but the bloodroot has bloomed. You flat landers read about bloodroot. Used as an astringent agent for skin maladies, red dye for fabric and face paint and optionally as an intestinal purge. My brother and I dug this stuff and dried it until ginseng digging started. We also gathered wild spearmint and peppermint plants along the creek banks of the homelands and dried them too. All could be sold for pennies, a fortune to us. Copperheads smell like a fresh cut cucumber, my Papaw taught me that so if you're aware in the woods and you smell that, you're too close.
20190406_145501.jpg

I bet it looked something like this,but maybe a Rupp.:emoji_laughing:
upload_2019-4-11_21-14-43.png
Hell,last I was sniffin' on a copperhead it smelled more like a Greek salad with extra pungent Feta.
All in good fun man...
On a serious note,I worked at a park that had a copperhead among other snakes that I had to feed until it was released.Yes released.Only kept snakes or any fauna two years max,and released.Anyway,the copperhead did have a musky smell kinda like cucumber.

@ Richard Foster
Well this should look familiar,like an old friend.Though,it's north of Front Royal on the 'Doah.
qJMuBxaavutBZWjAxvUzCSGfT_d_eV_7jtL-dlhPoA2yqs_4dCboVSYTp5S5PifEKicBG1LzGiIqwte5CxldgS-7M9GopL4d57wi_-4aYVUP9m7tKJ3AgIf5knnPJ9q7UEf6ROArWfe-zC9HUJIMldcR7ZA8Ov4CllR1cIj2kx6CLZLQ6j3VbkJGS3rYKyA_Yxtf2EQiqMk9MS_iIkACSp_JOpHgq7cJSz31nrwn-0smpeY47iemXfA4UM4vDK6YwIG3-1AP5kZ9wX6yI_2GOtWBGVlhfCv97FO_Z6hTqlvmwsNQrEwgJMP44C2mPhNWraU1x9SOewOuIbXWvb7cC7OPL-LPCVOGndnyFpLI7rMLrL21FjyOUY7pRk6GWcgdkQ5IXhkh96-egO81_FBfTq_JfSRpaFZ36j6nsLSKbLF5eNk8B7zWchrfkPzrwq5KqPoJMhLyL-tHs3fYZNdBXfTCTXbAHGzC1RsGn6vF2H_fYFxHWZY5E5S4QOKe3HLmKHwEANFCLepE6iiUtzNAAEDnWZmdm6CV46yo63iLX1TWhQbpf1ulU4seg3rl3pJ0keQmmT0rSlroJFod_6eLsJhUYsv_I8gc-mVyQc-bs-1E7maiqNFgOc36Di_UX52XWSlxjJa7NSf5f4-z0Q-KZA5wJTS4_NI=w689-h918-no
BAFziDY8UcvO6HDc2YuHM-gsrhPN8XilbZnUTSGWb1l11qNxjDlEJNCRjqN0Jd-pjum2Dhf4rg-sgqJC70w-FIq3ROxpjQGTPpnsDHDqgbJ44VZ4EL67AXsm4tuXHXsc2AKRxP7zYlrJCK80maDdDJUP0jkIURPBosiN6IMthcNNUX419kUeXXusuyk77XaU2l_50FhSjJxMZAslkdhJvVmsQNOQ5G1OvsG0XJ3YC_9N8NP90E50M-CRv7IkbDXO0zEAnUOwCkg2eTNuQObT4dArJIMcttg2PK-esqPAdXSAB-vvvoqKV4C_73spsaS4ocjixr0TZPcbX3NiTrfPUDrEomrEef8kQMPmFJOcD3Ie3fHQ22hFoWmZDQiCc4Mbl92nmX6o_ar44cd9mmTdM2pGB1J4iCYqA8FTQScUUFj1PB3iKVEElO5k9jClLWfcfIx9iI_ZUyB6QPHl2sAnxibEkThM1pIw1nhz8geCelgiZTdJ_tBenpqQReE6PsNXbHZzAs9w_cWECTHThjJC-n7gkpvklA21kDsVktmJwn5hIIE4u75udV9G8iGZdluax4wsVFx03dFQkTBNpyJb8f3-yss9HwOhDKUJPOGrZxTuUBUNCH-vvvm7TucbbGpic2-diAjbU-E9KcMzacOWv9Rjyvur9-Y=w689-h918-no

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky