Smoked Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
Thought I would try doing something a little different today, Been Cold up here the last week about 5 F°. I got all the goodies together, prepped 2#s of elk stew meat, Coarse ground pepper and Kosher salt, into the pan and into the smoker for 3 hrs for smoke.
Stew .jpg

Prepped the veggies, garden carrots and beans, picked up some baby potatoes, onions, mushrooms, summer turnips, and parsnips. Diced them up, EVOO, with coarse ground black pepper and kosher salt, Panned and into the smoker for 3 hrs with them.
Stew 1.jpg

Mixed them all into the dutch oven with 1/2 bottle red wine and beef broth, seasoned and simmered, slightly thickened and served on a cool evening.
The stew came out with a great smokiness to it and was a hit with guys here. Thx. for looking.
Stew 2.jpg

Charlie you owe me a keyboard,sitting here looking like a dog drooling and begging.Points
Richie

I've never used turnips and parsnips in stew. I do enjoy parsnips, never had a turnip.

About what ratio of those two items are you using vs the other veggies? I'd like to try them out but don't wanna over or under do it :-)

Thx everyone. I appreciate the comments and likes.

Did you use anything to thicken the sauce up by chance?
As far as thickening I took about ½ to 3/4 cup of broth and started sprinkling flour in until it was very thick. Aprox 1-2 tbsp. mix it in with the stew stirring well and continue to simmer. No lumps or flour taste at all.

I've never used turnips and parsnips in stew. I do enjoy parsnips, never had a turnip.

About what ratio of those two items are you using vs the other veggies? I'd like to try them out but don't wanna over or under do it :)
With the turinps I used the small white ones just smaller than a baseball. You can use a rutabaga as well, I used 3 and 2 med sized parsnips. I am not much of a fan of eiterh but in a stew it is like it is a must, just great flavor.

Reactions: fivetricks
Wow, that looks like an amazing bowl of comfort food. I love a hearty stew. Nice cook.

YUM!
I LOVE a bowl of Stew on a chilly night.

Hell, I love a bowl of stew anytime...

Charlie you owe me a keyboard,sitting here looking like a dog drooling and begging.Points
Richie

My goodness . You sure did a great job on that .

Awesome rib sticking food there guy.

Warren

Thx guys, It was a nice meal for a cool day. Sorry about your keyboaed Richie lol
Appreciate the comments and likes.

Thx for the like kelbro I am a fan of them in a stew or some latin dishes that are similar, But otherwise I usually steer clear of them. The wife tortures me a few times of yr and cooks them up. I just can't get the like for them that way.

It's 9* here, and a bowl of that stew would be more then welcome. Man that looks good.

Point for sure.
Chris

Looking good Charlie. I do love a good stew, whether it's cold out or not.
I agree that a good stew needs turnip, but I wouldn't wish a parsnip on my worst enemy. When I say turnip, I suppose I should say rutabaga, but I grew up calling the yellow ones turnips. LOL
Definitely worth a POINT
Gary

That bowl of perfect deserves a big like!

It's 9* here, and a bowl of that stew would be more then welcome. Man that looks good.

Point for sure.
Chris

Looking good Charlie. I do love a good stew, whether it's cold out or not.
I agree that a good stew needs turnip, but I wouldn't wish a parsnip on my worst enemy. When I say turnip, I suppose I should say rutabaga, but I grew up calling the yellow ones turnips. LOL
Definitely worth a POINT
Gary

Agree with all the others....looks good and wish I had some right now!

Point.

ABC, Great looking stew and the smoke would make it even tastier !
Thx a bunch guys for the comments and likes. Appreciate the kind words. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky