Smoked Steaks on the WSM w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redwood carlos

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Redwood City, Ca
So my BBQ buddy and I were trying to figure out something to cook Saturday when I told him some of the guys/gals here are smoking steaks and I think it would be great to do some. Since we were only cooking for ourselves we decided to go for it in a big way. We got ourselves some ribeyes.....

5.5 lbs of 'em split in two.
icon_eek.gif

I put some oak charcoal we got to try out in the smoker, started up some coals for the minion method, and once we put those on I added some cherry chunks over the top of them. My buddy was real worried that we were going to somehow mess these up and not only be out a chunk of change but also not have a good dinner.

The steaks cooked for around an hour and 15 minutes until 125. I did not want to risk cutting into the thing and hearing a moo.
biggrin.gif

anyhow the Baked potatoes were going to be another 25 minutes, so we let the steaks rest wrapped in foil for around 15 minutes. Opened all the vents on the bottom of the WSM and left the top off.

Once we were ready for the sear we took off the middle section as well and placed the grate directly over the super hot coals for a good sear. Love searing this way since the coals are so close to the grill.

Took them off and let them rest for another ten minutes and bam! The potato was a bit small so it added to the cartoonish size of these steaks.

Needless to say I slept very well that night.

Thanks for looking,

Carlos

Wow, Carlos!  Those are some monster steaks!  We love reverse seared Ribeyes, and yours look great!  Thanks for sharing...
bravo.png

Dang Carlos!  I just drooled all over my dadgum keyboard...

drool.gif

Great job on the reverse sear!   You say you slept well but you didn't say what y'all thought of the steaks!

Bill

Dang Carlos!  I just drooled all over my dadgum keyboard...

drool.gif

Great job on the reverse sear!   You say you slept well but you didn't say what y'all thought of the steaks!

Bill
They were delicious. A tad over done for my tastes, but just a tad. I will pull them at 120 next time. I love the even cook to the steaks you get with this method.

We used plenty of dried garlic and sea salt through a grinder, and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. My friend "hid" some fresh garlic cloves in the fat veins, for a bit of extra flavor. I wish I had some cut up views.

Bottom line, steaks will be cooked this way at my house for the indefinite future. Not so sure about the size being the same though, or that indefinite future might become much more definite. ;)

Nice Bark!!!

Maybe next time you could give us a look at the inside?

That's the shot we All look for.
drool.gif

Thanks,

Bear

Wow, those are some serious steaks! Did they have much smoke flavor?
To be honest, I remember they were very good and had a superior flavor to them, however I continued drinking for about 4 hours afterwards and do not remember the finer points of the flavor profile. 

Funny thing is my friend and I were just talking on the phone and have decided we need to make some again soon, sans the heavy drinking, just to be sure we tasted the awesomeness that we both remember.
beercheer.gif

Awesome, they look so good.  I have about 15 pounds of rib eye dry aging in UMAI bags for the past 10 days.  Your steaks look so good made me want to rip open one of those bags 20 days ahead of schedule!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky