Smoked Sriracha Salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Coastal NC
This is not a "big deal" smoke thread but I figured somebody might find it a little bit interesting.

A little bit ago I made a batch of Srirach salt.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sriracha-salt-364309

I don't have any photos from that project but it's a dead simple process. I used coarse sea salt instead of the Kosher that the recipe calls for.

I used it in most things that you would put salt on but liked it best on eggs and cantaloupe.

I didn't use a lot of it. Found it to be more a curiosity than something to rave about. (I made a bit of a mistake in trying the salt by itself. It is quite intense and it turned me off a bit. Finally got around to giving it an honest trial and liked it better).

Then I got the idea to try smoking it. The smoking has been a very positive transformation for the salt and I will make more in the future.

I used one of my 6 inch Amazin tubes with Hickory pellets in the Weber Kettle.

QAHF5eq.jpg

I used Frog mats to help support the cheese cloth that I spread the salt out on.
8zfuVlB.jpg

Here is my, admittedly small supply, of Sriracha salt, (Before smoke).
DPs6I54.jpg

Spread out and ready for a smoke bath. (It was a mistake to put the tube directly under the salt. I got a minor bit of scorching in the center of the salt).
CdhrzSM.jpg

End result. I'll do this again. The smoke flavor comes through even when the salt is used sparingly. (Kinda like the way smoked butter flavor is stronger than you would figure it would be).
FN4Kq1m.jpg

Thanks for looking. It's a fun little "no hassle" smoking experiment that I will repeat in the future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky