Smoked Spring Chinook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
An avid fisherman buddy at work offered me 4-5 lbs of springer fillets if I returned half of it smoked. My kind of bartering!

I used Bearcarver's brine recipe and also started with hickory and then went to apple and alder but I can't keep my MES 40" as low as I need so my smoke only lasted about 2.5 hours. I kept it under 200 the whole time but it was near 180°F in the smoker most of the time. I added fresh CBP before I dried for a couple hours to form a pellicle. I did not freeze them before hand. The fish was caught in Oregon 2 days before I smoked it. I took it to 155° just to try to dry it out a little for storage.
The smoked salmon tastes delicious. It's a little on the oily side being a shorter, hot smoke probably the culprit but I've been serving it on an almond crisp with a thin slice of pickled quail egg and I'm once again living large in the Pacific NW. Thanks for the recipe Bear!

Here is the link to Bear's recipe https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...lmon-with-recipe-instructions-and-qview.91264

wR7MfTV.jpg

O1BOnSt.jpg

AZ7CYIV.jpg

QLFwIj8.jpg

I just got done ordering the AMNPS, that should improve the fish smoking game considerably.

Last edited:
Great looking salmon. Nicely done.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks delicious!
Salmon is a big favorite around here!
I wish we could get it fresh like yours!
Al

I don't get to smoke fish here at the house because no one but me eats it but that looks great! LIKE!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky