Smoked Snakehead Fish.......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the fireman

Original poster
May 18, 2013
leonardtown maryland
ok so hee in maryland the snakehead fish is a big bow hutting extravganza. Its fun as hell honestly. Now my questiom isdo any of you have a recipe and or smoker and meat temperatures......

I can't believe some ***hole introduced these things to American waterways!  WHAT WERE THESE IDIOTS THINKING??  Good for you in killing and eatin them.  By the very nature of your question I'm not sure many people have experience with this fish.  I assume you have eaten these fish before.  Do you have a precook process?  Do you soak it in milk etc???  Whether it is a white meat or dark meat fish I would follow recipes for that same meat type fish.  Can't be very far off.  Maybe someone will come along with a better idea.  Good Luck.  Keep Smokin!

I am with you on that. Lol you ouuta xee the gold fishpeople flush. Potomac is not the cleanist. Lol weshot a 12 inch gold fish last night...... Think next time you flushem. But yea we have grilled them and pan fried them. Snakehead is honestly an awesome eating fish. There just as slimey as anell so thee is alot of preping

Your on your own here, IMHO , they are bait fish. Let the native fish eat on THEM.  An eye for an eye, so to speak.

Smells bad to cook and eat, NOPE , give me Catfish and I'm a happy Pappy.
drool.gif
 Oh , and some Hushpuppies and Coleslaw...Cornbread would work too.

Kill them all. Try Dynamite (not really, but wolud most likely work).

Salute a vet and remember the fallen and the Towers Heros also...

Lol i was raised on channel cat so i knowabout cat fish. Honestly its not to far off from the cat fish taste. I like it along with the bow crew bette than stripper

I say fillet a few of them up so we can get a look at what kind of meat we're up against...

I've been smoking sheephead, whites and Carp all my life

I just did 350# of caro a couple of weeks ago

I've never done a Snake head but would be interested in helping with a recipe  to smoke them up

Got into Snakehead fishing last summer. Plentiful on the Eastern Shore. I was skeptical about eating them but did a little research and marinated (Italian Dressing) and cooked on a cedar plank on the grill. Was actually very tasty. Nice firm white flaky meat, you really do not need a cedar plank. I have a couple filets left from a 14lber (my largest) I will brine, then smoke.

Attachments

• Smoking Logo.png
    Smoking Logo.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 9
I did not realize that Snakeheads could live that far north. That REALLY sucks.....

I remember years ago, Michigan was worried the Snakehead would get in the Great Lakes, kinda like the "Triploid Grass Carp" that can eat up to 100% of it's own weight per day.
Last I heard they were still trying to eradicate them from the US.

Bear

Only thing I know about them is when I had a 22" black snakehead in one of my tanks, was a mean sob.
The only thing I know about channel cats is the 30+ incher in my pond now under the ice.
catfish2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky