Smoked Short-ribs w/Garlic Braise finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Another fun get together this weekend! The guys from work came by with their families, we’d been having debates on who does the best cooks, so we turned it into a friendly competition. I decided to BBQ short ribs and finish them in a garlic braise….I’m enjoying the braised meats way too much lately. I’m going to do a 30 day cleanse this January🤣

15#s of short ribs, trimmed and seasoned the night before. I cut them into individual bones for more bark, leaving the bottom membrane to make sure the meat stayed on the bone!

5094B5A1-37E8-4F03-AF9E-00EF95D3BFAD.jpeg

Fired up the BelFab, still not to cold here so no major fight getting it rolling! After about 3 hours or so I had a peek and they were looking good! Neighbors all enjoyed the smell too!
13156EA3-537C-4623-BC7D-CB60A0A83D10.jpeg

When IT was averaging 155 I started getting the braise ready on the flattop using the drip pan I was using on the smoker. Braise was standard, onions, carrots, celery, but used four full garlic bulbs. Then a bunch of tomato paste, followed by red wine to a long simmer, and finally beef broth. Put the pan and braise liquid back under the dripping ribs waiting for IT to average 175.
66827AC2-B071-455B-A644-1FB4ABC39715.jpeg

F4DFB54A-15A4-4E08-9DDC-ED6C055FC19F.jpeg

Once 175 IT was hit I put the ribs meat side down in the liquid, sealed the pan up tight, and put a few logs in the firebox to bring the Hefe’s temp up from 250ish to 375ish to finish them.
24A75FF9-B077-4879-8023-DF9E691F0836.jpeg

Ribs were probe tender a few hours later, pulled them and held in a 175 oven until guests arrived. The house smelled incredible! Once the friends started rolling in, took the ribs out and strained the braise liquid, thicken with some blond roux and garnished with thyme and chives. Did the standard garlic herb mashed potatoes to serve with the beef!
37D57494-90DD-47C6-8C34-7258463DF569.jpeg
3B8E3131-7C42-475A-A684-D08CC5FD0BC4.jpeg

And the plate shot! Complete with tasty gravy!
1FAF1565-2F2E-4F46-B6AB-8D44C87E3C1E.jpeg

Not much of a smoke ring, but this was rich, decadent, smoky goodness!
5A94A2DE-EA4C-4459-A479-F0385FEA8EDA.jpeg

One of the wives won the contest with her cupcakes. They were pretty amazing!

Ok, thank you for your time! If I don’t have a chance in the next week, Merry Christmas!

OH man Jed you are killing it once again. That is one incredible meal and I am sure it was no competition as to who won!

Makes my Ninja ribeye today look like burger king...lol

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Dang. That all looks amazing
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment!
Looks spectacular !!
Thank you! It was a great time!
OH man Jed you are killing it once again. That is one incredible meal and I am sure it was no competition as to who won!

Makes my Ninja ribeye today look like burger king...lol
Thank you Cliff! I’d take your Ninja Ribeye any day! Good meat is good meat! I appreciate the compliment and your time!

I'm just glad you used the blond roux and not the red headed one! :emoji_laughing:

Looks delicious Jed! Awesome job as always!

Ryan

• Haha
Another fun get together this weekend! The guys from work came by with their families, we’d been having debates on who does the best cooks, so we turned it into a friendly competition. I decided to BBQ short ribs and finish them in a garlic braise….I’m enjoying the braised meats way too much lately. I’m going to do a 30 day cleanse this January🤣

15#s of short ribs, trimmed and seasoned the night before. I cut them into individual bones for more bark, leaving the bottom membrane to make sure the meat stayed on the bone!

View attachment 651575
Fired up the BelFab, still not to cold here so no major fight getting it rolling! After about 3 hours or so I had a peek and they were looking good! Neighbors all enjoyed the smell too!
View attachment 651578
When IT was averaging 155 I started getting the braise ready on the flattop using the drip pan I was using on the smoker. Braise was standard, onions, carrots, celery, but used four full garlic bulbs. Then a bunch of tomato paste, followed by red wine to a long simmer, and finally beef broth. Put the pan and braise liquid back under the dripping ribs waiting for IT to average 175.
View attachment 651576
View attachment 651577
Once 175 IT was hit I put the ribs meat side down in the liquid, sealed the pan up tight, and put a few logs in the firebox to bring the Hefe’s temp up from 250ish to 375ish to finish them.
View attachment 651579
Ribs were probe tender a few hours later, pulled them and held in a 175 oven until guests arrived. The house smelled incredible! Once the friends started rolling in, took the ribs out and strained the braise liquid, thicken with some blond roux and garnished with thyme and chives. Did the standard garlic herb mashed potatoes to serve with the beef!
View attachment 651580View attachment 651581
View attachment 651583
Not much of a smoke ring, but this was rich, decadent, smoky goodness!View attachment 651582

Ok, thank you for your time! If I don’t have a chance in the next week, Merry Christmas!
Excellent job

Looks like its short rib day.
Haha, the butcher did say they’ve been more popular than he ever remembers!
I'm just glad you used the blond roux and not the red headed one! :emoji_laughing:

Looks delicious Jed! Awesome job as always!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan🤣 The red headed roux is fun, but a bit crazy. The blond is high maintenance, but way more reliable!
Awesome job, looks so good!! Merry Christmas to you also!
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment!
Excellent job
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Jed that is magazine quality spectacular. The touch of green in the pics really helps them pop too! I’m all about presentation and you nailed it. !! I love beef ribs and you sure did those justice.

Jed that is and epic cook! All of them lined up on the cutting board is a sight for a meat eater!

View attachment 651575
View attachment 651578
View attachment 651576
View attachment 651577
View attachment 651579
View attachment 651580View attachment 651581
View attachment 651583
Not much of a smoke ring, but this was rich, decadent, smoky goodness!View attachment 651582

Looks good thanks for sharing. I have a question though. Putting it in all that liquid then cranking up the heat to almost 400 degrees. Aren't you close to boiling them?

Your just killing it Jed!
Nicely done as always!
Al
Thank you Al! I appreciate the compliment and your time! You guys have elevated my game quite a bit!
Excellent, Jed!!

Merry Christmas to you, as well...
Thank you I appreciate it!
Jed that is magazine quality spectacular. The touch of green in the pics really helps them pop too! I’m all about presentation and you nailed it. !! I love beef ribs and you sure did those justice.
Thank you Jeff! It’s funny how that little bit of green makes a difference, I notice it in eating too, the raw herb bumps it up, in my opinion🤣 I appreciate your compliment and the advice you’ve given over time, it makes a difference!
Jed that is and epic cook! All of them lined up on the cutting board is a sight for a meat eater!
Thank you Civil! I appreciate the compliment! The look matched the smells, our house smelled amazing for a bit🤣
Looks good thanks for sharing. I have a question though. Putting it in all that liquid then cranking up the heat to almost 400 degrees. Aren't you close to boiling them?
Thank you, I appreciate it! Good question, but I’m not sure I can give you a satisfactory answer, definitely not something that includes thermodynamics🤣 However, I’m less than a year into my braising journey and after a lot of Beef Chuck Birria on the smoker I decided trying to keep the smoker at 275 until finish wasn’t worth it in time. Instead I spike it up to 375 then let the smoker temps drop. It’s never come to a boil that I’ve noticed, the pan I use for braiding averages it out with a tight seal allowing for temp fluctuation, and I haven’t had a texture problem. I won’t disagree that there was too much liquid in there, but I had a lot going on at the time and it hadn’t really registered until your question. All that being said, smoking the ribs to the 175 may be a reason I haven’t had issues with the higher temp. I don’t know? All I know is it’s been working for me and I haven’t had a boiled texture or flavor in the end result. Doing cooks like this I try my best to track what I’m doing and why, but it tends to be on the fly a lot🤣 anyway, long answer kind of? Not sure if it scratched the itch?

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky