Smoked/Seared Savory Herb Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Menu
Grilled Asparagus
Oven Roasted New Potatoes
Spring Greens Mixed Salad

Some extra thick chops dry brined and then rubbed with a savory herb blend.
Smoked over Apple at 200°-220° to an IT of 130°
Then seared over a blazing hot grill to a finished IT of 145°

GtI6OOq.jpg

zFEDA6j.jpg

BmPrk3D.jpg

Out of the Smoker
DW45TBO.jpg

And onto the Grill
yMbrIFi.jpg

Bacon Wrapped Grilled Asparagus
Enough said... Fantastic.
No pics till the finale.

Oven Roasted New Potatoes
Chopped new potatoes
Chopped onion, coarse
1 packet Onion soup mix
1T Rosemary, crushed
Salt to taste
1/3C Olive oil
mix well, roast at 425° for 45 minutes

3iJ1ONY.jpg

Build Your Own Spring Mixed Salad
Fresh chopped assortment of cucumbers, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes.
Organic spring greens mix
Dressings

F4tdAYb.jpg

R2sfZF8.jpg

The Finale

GXWmdQF.jpg

IK6s2RX.jpg

I'm taking a point away for lack of drool warning!
But other than that, it's OK, I guess. lol

Good thing I just had dinner before looking at this thread, otherwise I'd be licking the computer screen.
Awesome smoke/cook!!!

Look's great Chile. Another fine plate.

Point for sure.

Chris

Those chops look fantastic! Question(s) though. What did you use for the dry brine. And how long did you let them go in the brine?

Those chops look fantastic! Question(s) though. What did you use for the dry brine. And how long did you let them go in the brine?
Thanks Steve.

A liberal amount of Kosher salt applied to both sides and allowed several hours (4-6) to do it's work.
I'm starting to prefer injecting these thick chops, puts the brine deep, where it needs to be.

Thanks Steve.

A liberal amount of Kosher salt applied to both sides and allowed several hours (4-6) to do it's work.
I'm starting to prefer injecting these thick chops, puts the brine deep, where it needs to be.

To inject I would think pops brine would work?

Pop's Brine is a curing agent, you can cure if you like.
I'm talking a simple salt solution to help retain moisture and enhance flavor.

Ah, I got myself confused. I think I'm leaning more towards a actual cure to get a smoked/ham/ pork chop results. Thanks for the help.

Chili,
Do you rinse the dry brine off before you smoke them?

Also, how thick are your chops? The local market has bone in pork loin chops for $1.99 lb. I was going have them custom cut some for me.

Chili,
Do you rinse the dry brine off before you smoke them?

Also, how thick are your chops? The local market has bone in pork loin chops for $1.99 lb. I was going have them custom cut some for me.
I'm just using Kosher salt to brine with, I'm not going overboard with it so it all absorbs into the chops... Nothing to rinse off.

Those Costco Extra Thick Chops are every bit of 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" thick.
One chop is enough for any hungry man, hell I don't think I've ever finished one in one go.

Dang. Wow what a feast! Not sure how I missed this. LIKE

Ah, I got myself confused. I think I'm leaning more towards a actual cure to get a smoked/ham/ pork chop results. Thanks for the help.

I think thick cut chops in Pop's low salt would be killer. Cold smoke on beech and then roast in kraut is how I'd do them.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky