Smoked scrapple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice report on your efforts there, riz9. What fatties did you smoke?

The fatties were Jimmy Dean, Regular Sage and Hot.
As far as the scrapple goes I'm just buying hatfield scrapple. So if you trying to mix it up on your own, I unfortunely can't help much.

I sliced some scrapple on friday 7/28 on threw it on there. Smoked it for about 1.5-2 hours at 235F. Basically I was making smoked hambugers and whenever they were ready according to a probe thermometer I took the scrapple off as well. But the skin didn't get quite as crisp as I like it so I had to throw it on a skillet for a little bit, but the scrapple definitely takes on good smoke flavor in a relatively short time. So did the hamburgers. I don't have any pics but these smoked hamburgers and scrapple are so good I'll be doing them a lot.

Never tried Scrapple but I did find this recipe. Thought I would post it here so if anyone wanted to try it they could.

Scrapple

2 pounds ground lean pork
1 lb beef liver
1 cup buckwheat flour
3 cups yellow corn meal
4 tablespoons salt
4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sage
2 teaspoons ground mace
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons whole sweet marjoram
3 quarts of water
In a large pot, add the water and bring to a boil. Add the liver and boil 10 minutes. Remove the liver and either run through a chopper or grab a knife and cut it in as small pieces as you can. Return to pot. Add the ground pork, a little at a time, and stir. If you add the pork all at once, you will end up with a big "clump". Boil at about a simmer for 20 minutes.

In a large bowl mix the buckwheat flour, corn meal, salt, and spices; add to meat and broth slowly, constanstanly stirring. Simmer gently for one hour, stirring very frequently. Use lowest possible heat, as mixture scorches easily.

Pour into greased loaf pans, (you will need two - this receipt will make two four pound pans for a total of eight pounds) bounce the pans a couple of times so that the Scrapple settles, and let cool. At this point it is best to let the let the Scrapple set in the refigerator overnight.

Now, as you arise in the morning, remove the scrapple from the refer and cut into to 3/8 inch slices. To freeze, lay a sheet of waxed paper between slices and then put in ziplock bags and into the freezer.

To serve, thaw and dust with flour and fry in either bacon grease or lard until golden brown. Should you decide to use "Pam" or other such modern devices, you will not only ruin the Scrapple, but my grandmother, and perhaps her grandmother who developed this receipt will descend upon you and rack vengeance beyond imagination.

Some people prefer their Scrapple with maple syrup. Personally, I like to lay a couple of slices of Scrapple along two fried eggs, put lots of butter on the Scrapple, then grab my pepper mill and make everything look like a gravel truck just past over it. And, as you eat, mix the eggs and Scrapple together and use a good "pusher" (fresh crusty bread) to get it together. Enjoy.

Hope someone will give it a try and let us know if it is like you like it.

ayyyyyyyyyyyy.scrapple and fatties, fatties and scrapple, whats a smoker to do..love them both..used to make our own been a while since i've been to a good butchering..scrapple is best straight out of the kettle,,,,now i gotta go up to the IGA and get me some meadows

i have their recipe somewhere.. one of the guys i used to butcher with was a meadow and we used their recipe when making scrapple..used to make 50#at a time 10 of it would be eaten as we were filling the pans

I had seen a recipe o make homemade scrapple using Pork Butt, however it said to boil the butt and I was thinking why not Smoke it first instead of boiling it then making it into Scrapple

That would give You some Smoked Scrapple IMO

Following this thread has me thinking I need to find our recipe had already been thinking about making some.
We use to boil the heads and make our scrapple with the meat from the heads. All other scrap meat was used for sausage.

Warren

Last edited:
We butcher hogs every year in janiary to stock the freezer, and we always make scrapple and puddin'. I gre up eating scrapple and love it, especially with a little kings syrup. The nice thing about making our own is that we can control what goes into the pot of meat. We always remove the brain from the skull before it goes into the pot to be cooked down, just something that we personally think is important. I think I still have about 3-4 pans of it left in the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky