Smoked Salisbury Meatballs with egg noodles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

four20

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 21, 2016
Laurens S.C.
Well guys its Sunday and I want something different. So we will be working a simple yet savory cook today. Now many of you know I have a huge cast iron collection, and this thread will showcase one that only gets used occasionally because of its size.
20221211_125035.jpg
I have laid out my beef and sausage, but I wanted to give you an idea of the size of this piece of Iron. I have inserted a 14 inch screen in the pan which will suspend the meatballs about 1/2 inch from bottom of the pan.
So keep a watch on this thread today and see how things progress.

You have my attention. Really curious about smoked Salisbury meatballs. Never thought of that before.

So we are working through some chores.
20221211_140022.jpg
I love my place. every weekend I drive my road to the barn.
20221211_140705.jpg
Hay for the mule.... last year I was paying $7.00 for a bale. Thank you Mr Biden it is now $14.00 a bale.
20221211_140711.jpg
And of course my daily fight with the mule. He is especially mean today. It has been raining all week, and he will not stay in the barn.

Very envious of the lifestyle , four20.
Just exactly what does a mule do these days to earn their keep?

So we start with 1lb of ground chuck and 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage.
Add1 cup of Italian breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup red onion, and 1 egg. Now this is my standard meatball recipe.
20221211_151359.jpg

You can put these meatballs in any type of sauce after smoked. I generally smoke a 2 lb batch and vac seal in lots and freeze to be used as needed.
20221211_152551.jpg
20221211_153210.jpg
2 full screens ready to go on the pellet pumper at 250f.
Now on the side I was given a bunch of turnips and I will be making my dads favorite Turnip Au Gratin.
20221211_145952.jpg
Layer turnips and onion in a piece of cast
20221211_151235.jpg
I have added some deli ham just for seasoning.
20221211_151355.jpg
And finally the cream sauce.
20221211_152217.jpg
Yes its going to be a good rainy day meal/

lol! Mules do have character. My uncle had a couple. And one you couldn't approach unless you had a apple cut in half. With brown sugar on it. Damned if I could ever figure out how he could smell it from the other side of the pasture. But. He did. And the noise he made while charging across to get it would make the most hardened person grin from ear to ear. Though. This same mule kicked me in the part that god split so hard. I couldn't sit for a couple days. And. I swear to the almighty. That mule knew. And loved what he did. Heathen animals!

lol! Mules do have character. My uncle had a couple. And one you couldn't approach unless you had a apple cut in half. With brown sugar on it. Damned if I could ever figure out how he could smell it from the other side of the pasture. But. He did. And the noise he made while charging across to get it would make the most hardened person grin from ear to ear. Though. This same mule kicked me in the part that god split so hard. I couldn't sit for a couple days. And. I swear to the almighty. That mule knew. And loved what he did. Heathen animals!
I love the mules attitude and personality. He was a rescue that was abused and its taken a cpl years to get him to trust us. As with our dogs all here are rescues and muts. they seem to have better personalities.

Reactions: Steve H
I love the mules attitude and personality. He was a rescue that was abused and its taken a cpl years to get him to trust us. As with our dogs all here are rescues and muts. they seem to have better personalities.
Good for you for doing this. If anyone would tell me that animals don't have feelings. Or appreciation. I'd tell them they don't know what they are talking about.

Was it me or the mule that hijacked this thread? :emoji_laughing:

Edit:
Never mind, we're back on track.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
So for our sauce we begin with 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. 1 whole red onion cut into strips. Saute the onion.
20221211_170911.jpg

Then add 2.5 cups beef broth, 1 tbsp of ketchup, 1/4 cup of Grey Poupon, 1 tbsp Lee and Perins Worcestershire, and 1 tbs oyster sauce, and 2 tbsp of cornstarch to you iron and bring to a simmer to thicken.
20221211_171302.jpg
Meatballs coming off the smoker
20221211_171744.jpg
Now add 1/2 of the meatballs to the sauce and put back in your smoker or oven so they absorb all that wonderful sauce flavor.
20221211_172158.jpg
Now the turnips .......
20221211_172632.jpg
Top with cheddar....
20221211_172724.jpg
Both the turnips and the meatballs are going into my oven at 225F to finish.

So I got called into work, makeup water for the hot water boiler isnt working correctly and now I have air all in my heat coils, but I came home to eat. I will go back in a bit when the system is full. Here are the finished meatballs.
20221211_193333.jpg
The finished turnips....
20221211_193337.jpg
My plate....... Noodles dressed in the sauce.
20221211_194607.jpg
Thank you for reading..... Hope you get some sleep cause I know I wont.

Looks great, I have a big lodge skillet 151/4" I think, they had quit making the lids, I found a off brand that fits great 4-5 years later

What a meal!! That sounds and looks great and I'd never turn away from it until my plate was cleaned.
If anyone would tell me that animals don't have feelings. Or appreciation. I'd tell them they don't know what they are talking about.
Truer words have never been spoken or written...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky