smoked rabbit?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Low and slow of course, but the biggest part of it is how you like your rabbit.

It's a bit gamier than some other cuts so it sort of depends on if you like it more toward a squirrel taste which is even gamier, or like a lamb taste, which is less gamier. Based on that you can use different spices to either let the taste come out, or cover it up some. You can marinate it first (red wine is one that we like doing it overnight) or just add some seasonings. Now if you get them farm raised from a butcher or somewhere, they are probably less gamey than if you harvest them yourself. Better feed.

And it's crucial to let it get to an internal of 160 to kill all the nasties rabbits can carry (again, I don't know if they still have them if they are farm raised so you might have to look that up or ask). At 225, that will take about 4 hours or so if I remember right, but you must use a good thermometer to check it. I'm chicken so I aim for 162 but that's just me. It's a fine trade-off in "being done" and "being overdone and dried out".

Also, it's a very lean meat, so you will either need to baste it with oil or butter, or to allow it to self-baste, and to add flavor cover it up with that good ol' standby, bacon. That will help to keep it moist.

I've only got one of those little buggers running around right now, so I'm waiting until we get some more, which probably won't be much longer. I look forward to seeing your Qview since my stock is too low right now!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky