Smoked Prime Rib (49th Wedding Anniversary Dinner)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice job bear .. points to you ... and points to Mrs. bear .. that's a long time for someone to wash somebody's drawers .. lol, that;s what my brother said to me when we celebrated our 35th

Thank You Griz!!!
I got a brother just like that !!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Well......it looks like the Bear came through with flying colors-----again. Looks amazing!! I like my meat medium, but I sure wouldn't say no to a slice of that LOL.
Congratulations to you and your Miss Linda, John from me and my Miss Linda. Sure nice to see a couple stay together that long.
Gary

Thank You Much, Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Congrats Bear and Mrs. Bear! Our anniversary (only our 26th) is on December 27th as well... So I too know how hard it is to fit all that food, family and celebration into a small window. The Prime rib looks perfect!

Thank You Dave!!
And Congrats to you & your Mrs Too.

Bear

Happy, Happy, Happy Anniversary!
I was beginning to wonder if anything you cooked didn't have some time in the hot tub...;)
Looks fantastic as always, and thanks for the instructions!:)

Thank You!!
LOL---I'm caught up on SV for now, but I'll be heating the two leftover slices with my SV.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Geeze Bear your're killing me !!! I am a prime rib fanatic and have mine ready for Christmas. Do you find the dust works out better than pellets in that tray?

Also, congrats on your 49th, I know that's quite an accomplishment for her o_O !!!!
My late mom's birthday was on 12-27 so I know what you're saying about everything getting bunched up around the holiday. Thanks for bringing back that memory !!!!

Geeze Bear your're killing me !!! I am a prime rib fanatic and have mine ready for Christmas. Do you find the dust works out better than pellets in that tray?

Also, congrats on your 49th, I know that's quite an accomplishment for her o_O !!!!
My late mom's birthday was on 12-27 so I know what you're saying about everything getting bunched up around the holiday. Thanks for bringing back that memory !!!!

Thank You!!
My Late Mom's birthday was 12-26, so that was even added to that Jam-up.

I try to use Dust in my AMNS, instead of Pellets in my AMNPS on anything that I'm smoking with a Smoker Temp of under 225°-230°. Dust is easier to keep burning, and the only way I can burn Cherry, but Dust will often ignite & burn the whole tray out at once if you go to 230° or higher.

Bear

I’d like to try this also. My question what’s the reason to leave it in the smoker for 1 -1/2 hours once it hit 140 IT? Were you just hold it at warm till dinner time or is there science behind it?

Congrats on 49 years Bear, that looks to one fine meal cooked to perfection!

Thank You John!!
I don't even bother saying it any more in my write-up, but just like the last 10 or 15, this was the Best one I Ever Made.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I’d like to try this also. My question what’s the reason to leave it in the smoker for 1 -1/2 hours once it hit 140 IT? Were you just hold it at warm till dinner time or is there science behind it?

First of all---I'm sorry, that was a Misprint---I pulled it at 3:50, not 4:50.
Thanks for mentioning the 1-1/2 hours. I knew I didn't do that. I fixed it now.

Now to your question:
Some people just leave it out on the counter, covered, and some wrap in foil & towels for awhile to allow the Juices to redistribute.
I tried this years ago, and it works great, with less hassle.
Leaving it in there for 15 to 30 minutes with the heat approximately the same as the Internal Temp of the meat allows it stop cooking, & to redistribute the Juices, and the meat doesn't know it's not wrapped in towels & in a cooler. LOL
If it's something like a Pork Butt that I want to hold for a couple hours, I would do the same thing, but I would wrap it in foil first.

Bear

Last edited:
This then really gets into the whole subject of the differences between "holding" meat and "resting" meat. Holding is typically what we do to pork butts or briskets, which allows the meat to be in an insulated environment (a cambro for instance) and actually continue to cook. We seek further fat rendering and collagen transformation while the meat seeks to level off to a carving temperature at roughly 140*. This is considered critical to a well tenderized large piece of meat.

Resting meat is a totally different animal. Resting is done typically on a counter or in a cooking vessel away for it's heat source. There is a myth that somehow resting "re-distributes" the juices or you risk losing tenderness and flavor. Well respected chefs like Kenji and The Cook's Illustrated Test Kitchen have done studies on this and yes there may be as much as an additional 5% loss of liquid in meat carved without resting, but you need to realize that meat is up to 65% water to begin with. Loosing 5% is not that big a loss.

So what do you gain by not resting? First of all we who love our steaks medium rare (which for me is 130-135*), resting under a foil tent or even just sitting on the cutting board risks carry over cooking. So I loose a few ounces of liquid more than I would have if I left it to rest for say 10 minutes, but in that 10 minutes the internal temperature may then rise to over 140*, which for me is in the medium range and not acceptable.

Granted resting unfoiled on the cutting board is preferable to tenting in that the temperature falls faster. I also think you pick up some firmness so carving, say a turkey, is easier. Just remember, cooking does not stop because its away from its heat source and fat, which we work so hard to liquefy, begins to solidify and turn gummy once again. Be sure to work that into your cooking matrix to hit that sweet spot of tender juiciness.

This then really gets into the whole subject of the differences between "holding" meat and "resting" meat. Holding is typically what we do to pork butts or briskets, which allows the meat to be in an insulated environment (a cambro for instance) and actually continue to cook. We seek further fat rendering and collagen transformation while the meat seeks to level off to a carving temperature at roughly 140*. This is considered critical to a well tenderized large piece of meat.

Resting meat is a totally different animal. Resting is done typically on a counter or in a cooking vessel away for it's heat source. There is a myth that somehow resting "re-distributes" the juices or you risk losing tenderness and flavor. Well respected chefs like Kenji and The Cook's Illustrated Test Kitchen have done studies on this and yes there may be as much as an additional 5% loss of liquid in meat carved without resting, but you need to realize that meat is up to 65% water to begin with. Loosing 5% is not that big a loss.

So what do you gain by not resting? First of all we who love our steaks medium rare (which for me is 130-135*), resting under a foil tent or even just sitting on the cutting board risks carry over cooking. So I loose a few ounces of liquid more than I would have if I left it to rest for say 10 minutes, but in that 10 minutes the internal temperature may then rise to over 140*, which for me is in the medium range and not acceptable.

Granted resting unfoiled on the cutting board is preferable to tenting in that the temperature falls faster. I also think you pick up some firmness so carving, say a turkey, is easier. Just remember, cooking does not stop because its away from its heat source and fat, which we work so hard to liquefy, begins to solidify and turn gummy once again. Be sure to work that into your cooking matrix to hit that sweet spot of tender juiciness.

Hi Troutman,
All mostly true:
Mrs Bear & I prefer between 138° and 142° IT, so this time I was shooting for 140°. At those temps the meat is Pink from Bark to Bark (as you can see), plenty Juicy, but not so rare that it is too chewy and hard to slice for the jiggling around on the plate.
As for the carry-over that you speak of, when using my 220° Smoker Temp that I've been using for my last 12 or 15 Prime Ribs, I get between ZERO & 2° Carry-over, as you can see on this one I got Zero degrees rise from when I killed the heat & opened the door to drop the temp to 140° until the time I sliced it (Half hour later).
And if you look close at the pics, you can see no Juices were cooked out of my Prime Rib, as the only juice in the pan when done is the Lea & Perrins that ran off the Roast while in the Fridge before smoking it. So I don't need Au Jus, because all the Juices are still in the meat.

So you have to allow for my 220° Smoker Temp, when you do your figuring on my Prime Ribs.
Hope that helps,

BTW: I think I got my Prime Ribs down to the way we like them. Here's some more:
Prime Rib Calendar (14 Smoked Prime Ribs)

Bear

Oh trust me Bear, your meat looks marvelous and perfectly cooked to my liking. Just saying, there's a lot of myths that have been de-bunked about resting meat. If you shoot low and know that carry over will bring you to your desired temperature, then you have already realized my point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky