Smoked Pork Steaks with Monroe County Vinegar Dip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

QueBeard

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
Upstate SC
Watched a video on YouTube the other day about the Kentucky BBQ trail and they were grilling pork steaks over hickory and then dipping them in a hot vinegar sauce.

I rubbed down with Jeff's rub, then smoked on the Pit Boss to about 160 IT. Then cranked the temp to 350 until they hit 185. We let them sit in foil a little long so they were a bit overcooked, but with hickory pellets in the AMAZEN tube they were incredible!! Served with the hot dip, garden fresh brushetta, and corn on the cob. All done on the grill but the dip.
IMG_20200702_172524349_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200702_175424479.jpg
IMG_20200702_175651885.jpg
IMG_20200702_174355005_HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looks good, Ive recemtly discovered the pork steak, Im a fan to say the least

That’s getting it done Boss

Looks really good. Nice smoke ring too. I love pork steaks. What is the Monroe vinegar dip?

Thanks, y'all!!

For the Monroe County Vinegar Dip:
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar or brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt (sea or kosher)
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot)
  • I added a tablespoonish of yellow mustard
Make the Vinegar Dip: Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the vinegar, pepper, sugar, cayenne, salt, and hot sauce. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 3 minutes, whisking to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove the dip from the heat and let cool slightly.

I halved the recipe which is from barbecuebible.com

Sure looks good from here. I haven't done pork steaks in forever. I'm gonna try that sauce. Looks like it would make a good finishing sauce for puled pork as well! Very nice!

Yup , looks good . I'll be doing pork steaks for the 4th .
Nice work on those .

Those pork steaks look awesome QB! The vinegar dip sounds good too. Thanks for sharing that recipe.

I’m a big fan of the vinegar/mustard base sauces as well. Prefer them over sweet sauces.

The dip sounds like a good finishing sauce for pulled pork. You know what else it would be good for?...fried potatoes (don’t laugh!) I love using PP finishing sauce on fried potatoes, hashbrowns and french fries.

Reactions: IH 1026
Those look awesome! About how long did it take to get up to 160 and is that when you foiled them? Looking for another dish for Saturday to go with our Pork Shoulder and Loin.

Those look awesome! About how long did it take to get up to 160 and is that when you foiled them? Looking for another dish for Saturday to go with our Pork Shoulder and Loin.
Thanks again everyone!

I think it would make an exceptional PP finishing sauce. Just be careful, it is hot!!

I let them ride on smoke (170-200) for 2 hours. Then 250 for 30 minutes. Then 350 for another 30 minutes till they hit IT. I just put them tented in foil to rest afterwards.

Curious as to whether you would consider a lower IT.. I've been taking my pork to 140 or 145 and it's still pretty juicy, but, cooked to a safe temp. In no way, shape, or form am I knocking your thread in any way as your steaks look great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky