• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RyeSmoke

Original poster
A couple years ago I discovered a new fishery harvesting pink and spiny swimming scallops in the waters off Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Only a few hundred kilometers away from my home in Victoria. They are sold in the shell and taste like a cross between a scallop and a clam. Some come with a roe sack in them that is DELICIOUS. It's sort of like the dark meat of a scallop.
20200509_202650.jpg

I find that unless I'm doing "beach oysters" grilled over open flame, that smoked shellfish is unequivocally better brined. I've smoked mussels, oysters, clams, scallops, etc. And without fail a brined mollusk comes out juicier, saltier, and with way more flavour. I decided to brine these with a mixture of salt, sugar, garlic, soy, a spicy phillipino vinegar (white vinegar infused with onions and chillies called Datu Puti), and water.
20200509_202639.jpg

I brined them for roughly 30 minutes while I pre heated my smoker to 160 degrees. Burning a mix of shaved cherry wood and chipped maple. The cherry was a bit dry so I went heavy on the maple.
20200509_203230.jpg

Smoked them for about two and a half hours, refilling the wood a total of 3 times. The final product came out amazing! Juicy, smoky, sweet and salty. I want to eat them all fresh out of the smoker but this batch is destined to go on pizza for tomorrow nights dinner. Although knowing they only take a total of 3 hours to do up; I think these will become a regular snack in my smoking arsenal.
20200509_224743.jpg

100% would do again.

Happy smoking and happy Mothers Day
Cheers,
Rye

Damn, those look tasty I'm a seafood junky with an emphasis on shellfish.
I've never heard of those but I bet they are amazing.

Those do look really good. Nice Job. Scallops aren't an ingredient that I think of as a pizza topping, but I could see myself digging it.

Point for sure
Chris

Those scallops look awesome! I bet they tasted that way too!

I’m a shellfish junky too. I don’t think they would have made it until later or the next day.

You have awesome willpower! No way they'd last 'til tomorrow night...They look great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky