Smoked my first Chuck Roast.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danny45

Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
.... the other night and it was delicious!!!  Only problem was, a 3 pound roast didn't last very long with 5 adults and 2 kids eating it.  Sorry, no Q View as I haven't figured that part out yet.  Still trying to learn to cook.  :D

Anyways, I took the roast and rubbed mustard over it, then coated it with Head Country Seasoning.  Then threw it on the off-set smoker.  About every hour I sprayed it with apple juice.  It wasn't hard keeping the temp at 225, but it took forever for that roast to cook.  Outside temp was in the low 50s and I was using whole hickory logs, and it took me 6 hours to get the internal temp to 165 (medium).  Anyways, after that I double wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at a very low temp to rest for 3 hours.

For you pros, should I have moved the roast closer to the heat source to shorten the cooking time?  (it was at the far end away from the fire box to prevent burning)

You shouldn't have any problems doing a Chuck roast at 250º, and you would be surprised how much of a time difference that extra 25º makes.  

Just as a side note, I know everyone loves spraying apple juice, but I am an advocate of apple cider vinegar instead.  Try it next time and see what you think.

You shouldn't have any problems doing a Chuck roast at 250º, and you would be surprised how much of a time difference that extra 25º makes.  

Just as a side note, I know everyone loves spraying apple juice, but I am an advocate of apple cider vinegar instead.  Try it next time and see what you think.
Thanks, I will.

Sorry, but I have to be the one to say it.

worthless.gif

It's really easy to add pics to your post, just click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box & follow the prompts.

Glad your roast turned out well!

worthless.gif

It's really easy to add pics to your post, just click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box & follow the prompts.

X2

Congratulations on your first Chuckie...

worthless.gif

X4

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky