• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked my first Chuck Roast.....

danny45

Joined Dec 28, 2010
.... the other night and it was delicious!!!  Only problem was, a 3 pound roast didn't last very long with 5 adults and 2 kids eating it.  Sorry, no Q View as I haven't figured that part out yet.  Still trying to learn to cook.  :D

Anyways, I took the roast and rubbed mustard over it, then coated it with Head Country Seasoning.  Then threw it on the off-set smoker.  About every hour I sprayed it with apple juice.  It wasn't hard keeping the temp at 225, but it took forever for that roast to cook.  Outside temp was in the low 50s and I was using whole hickory logs, and it took me 6 hours to get the internal temp to 165 (medium).  Anyways, after that I double wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at a very low temp to rest for 3 hours.

For you pros, should I have moved the roast closer to the heat source to shorten the cooking time?  (it was at the far end away from the fire box to prevent burning)

czarcastic

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 17, 2011
You shouldn't have any problems doing a Chuck roast at 250º, and you would be surprised how much of a time difference that extra 25º makes.  

Just as a side note, I know everyone loves spraying apple juice, but I am an advocate of apple cider vinegar instead.  Try it next time and see what you think.

danny45

Joined Dec 28, 2010
You shouldn't have any problems doing a Chuck roast at 250º, and you would be surprised how much of a time difference that extra 25º makes.  

Just as a side note, I know everyone loves spraying apple juice, but I am an advocate of apple cider vinegar instead.  Try it next time and see what you think.
Thanks, I will.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Sorry, but I have to be the one to say it.

It's really easy to add pics to your post, just click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box & follow the prompts.

Glad your roast turned out well!

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 2, 2007
Danny it sounds like a huge success... Congratulations!!!

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009

It's really easy to add pics to your post, just click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box & follow the prompts.

X2

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 16, 2009
I can only IMAGINE how good it looked... Chucks are great for learning since they take some incredible abuse..

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Congratulations on your first Chuckie...

X4

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like your chuck turned out great.

Smoke-N-Dave. Tapatalk iPhone

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.