SMOKED MENUDO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
Alright, here's something off the wall. I know there's some on here that will drool, some will puke, and some will ponder. I myself could eat this everyday. I have never had it smoked, never seen it smoked, so this is an experiment. I'll explain a little, tripe is cows stomach, yup ya herd me, gut pile to some, hangover cure to other's. To me it's a perfect winter bowl of goodness, the hotter the better. Here's the ingredients. Four pounds of tripe. one habanero, three anaheim chilis in the smoker along with a white onion. I cleaned the tripe and cut off all the fat I could then boiled it for 15 minutes, tossed it in the colander and washed it with hot water to get rid of as much grease as possible, then onto the smoker. I didn't go by any temp on this, I just pulled it when it looked like it took on a good amount of hickory smoke. Then into the dutch oven on the stove with water to cover and a TBS of kosher salt. Bring to a boil and drop to a simmer and go watch tv, this will take a few hours, talk about a stall. Meanwhile I had a seperate sauce pan going with the hominy. chopped onion, herdez salsa ranchera, habanero and anaheim chilis some of my chili arbol powder and some menudo mix which is oregano, dried lemon zest and some red chili flake, I also added some fresh garlic. When about a half hour out I'll add it to the dutch give a stir and have a cold one. Plate a bowl with some fresh chopped onion, dried oregano and some hot corn tortillas and dig in. Enjoy and OLAY!

50eeebca_base-ingredients.jpg

d37d93c4_1.jpg

ee13e709_2.jpg

c2cde7b4_3.jpg

69ff3365_finished-menudo.jpg

Reactions: Dutch
Wow that is really interesting i would have never thought of making smoked menudo!!! How did it come out? did the smoke flavor overwhelm the broth? i love menudo and i also make a killer one.

Wow that is really interesting i would have never thought of making smoked menudo!!! How did it come out? did the smoke flavor overwhelm the broth? i love menudo and i also make a killer one.

No I thought it would myself but with all the chili',s onion and such it was a perfect blend. I thought about the old days and the ladies cooking over an open fire, that's what inspired me. It was even better the next day. Toss up your recipe here if you want, the more the better.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have some pata in there, I just didn't smoke them this time. I didn't want to over do it on the smoke, I did make this batch hot as hell. Habanero a plenty this time!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looks really good!!!
points.gif

Last time i made i was at my mother in laws house in Mexicali made. Man that Mexican beef is freaking good!! since there's no hormones added to the beef over there. Next time i get to making some i will be sure to post it with some Q-view of course.

Menudo is the best cure for a hangover ever I grew up eating it every sunday and still would if my grandmother lived closer to home.

i have now seen it all......................smoked menudo, never would have guessed. menudo (white) is my top 5 dishes of all time........i'd try that!

i have now seen it all......................smoked menudo, never would have guessed. menudo (white) is my top 5 dishes of all time........i'd try that!
Ok , Cheech and Chong wasn't a influense. I done
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
it all myself.,

icon_cool.gif

Now your Menudo looks and sounds pretty good and almost eatable too. Now I haven't eaten any Menudo since living in Texas. My mother lived next store to a older Mexican lady that taught me alot about mexican foods. But she made menudo and now she ised every part of the pig that you couldn't get in the store. Now it was delishious till after about the third spoon full and the soap started looking at me. I lost it and haven't tried it since. Something about tring to eat an eyeball was a little much for me. I mean it tasted really really good an all BUT...........

Smoked menudo... you are welcome at my house anytime. I like the flavors you're using, they don't call menudo "The breakfast of Champions" for nothing! It's all good my friend..

meateater, that is some great looking menudo. I haven't some great menudo in a long time. Way back when we ran the slaughter truck, we had access to all the tripe that we wanted. My cousin's wife was from Mexico and she would make menudo with the tripe we brought her (hen my cousin passed on his wife move away
icon_cry.gif
) My dad and me really loved menudo but nobody else in the family could stomach the stuff (pun intended
icon_rolleyes.gif
)  

icon_cool.gif

Now your Menudo looks and sounds pretty good and almost eatable too. Now I haven't eaten any Menudo since living in Texas. My mother lived next store to a older Mexican lady that taught me alot about mexican foods. But she made menudo and now she ised every part of the pig that you couldn't get in the store. Now it was delishious till after about the third spoon full and the soap started looking at me. I lost it and haven't tried it since. Something about tring to eat an eyeball was a little much for me. I mean it tasted really really good an all BUT...........
I've never seen menudo with an eyeball in it.
icon_eek.gif
 You should get yourself a can of it and give it a shot again. If I could have only one meal for the rest of my life it would be menudo.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dutch and Rich, thanks alot. It was really good and was shocked at the results, I do say let it rest overnight, much better that way.
icon_cool.gif

oxtail is really good i have made it with both shanks and oxtail. you should really try it you wont be disappointed. But mix both oxtail and shanks it give the soup some killer flavor also mix some mint with thick sliced onions and throw that in there the last 30 mins of cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky