Smoked meatloaf finally! Q-view

Discussion in 'Beef' started by shelton573, Aug 9, 2015.

1. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

So we got into the beers pretty heavy on Friday night and decided to do a meatloaf on Saturday so I thawed out 9 lb of ground beef and away we went. I'm not real sure what the recipe was because my neighbor just started throwing stuff in the bowl.
    Here is the 9 lb beast goin in the smoker.

Sitting in the smoke at 230 degrees

Also did a tray of smoked loaded fries. They were amazing!

Here is the loaf out of the smoker and cut up. Has a nice smoke ring in it and was hands down the best meatloaf I have ever had! Thanks for looking!

Shelton

floridasteve likes this.
  2. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great! Good thing it is I wouldn't want to eat 9# of not so good meatloaf Sammies!
    I'm guessing you cook the fries? Looks like a great side!!

3. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Thank ya! I was hoping there would be some leftovers but people kept stopping by and eating lol. Ended up being two slices left so I reckon I wasn't the only one that like it hah. For the fries I just used a 2 lb bag of crinkle cut and got the smoker up to 325 and threw on apple wood. I cooked the fries until they are crisp (about 25-30 min). Once they are done we just packed them together and covered in pepper jack and cheddar cheese, green onion, jalapeño, bacon and diced ham and put them back on to melt the cheese. We made sure the smoke was rolling still when we melted the cheese. Even though it don't take long, the cheese still picked up some smokiness.

Shelton

4. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great looking loaf, Shelton. Meat loaf is one of our favorites. Some folks can't believe that I smoke meat loaf. I tell 'em, just try it once and you'll never cook another one in the oven. Keep on smokin', Joe

5. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nothing better then smoked meat loaf, well done

6. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Thanks joe! My buddy's wife was not happy that we were going to smoke it because she said it will dry it out real bad. It was unbelievably juicy and she said she will never do another in the oven. Can't wait to do another one. Maybe next time I'll have enough for left overs hah. My buddy wants to do a 12 lb next!

Shelton

7. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks I'll have to try that soon!

8. floridasteve

floridasteve Smoking Fanatic

Great feed and pictures. Never thought about fries in the smoker -- I'll have to try it! :points:

9. floridasteve

Sheldon, where in SE Iowa are you? I grew up break the River on the I'll side between Muskatine and Burlington.

10. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Thank ya sir! Just remember if you try it use a perforated pan. Turns out pretty awesome!

I live outside of the quad cites in Durant. Moved up here a bit over 3 yrs ago for work.

Shelton

11. vwaldoguy

vwaldoguy Smoke Blower

Might have to try a meatloaf someday.

12. floridasteve

Ah yes, know the quad cities well. I think mr cousin Blaine lives near Dorant, and my cousin Nancy lives in leClaire.

13. floridasteve

You HAVE to try meatloaf! I use ground turkey and instead of bread crumbs I add a packet of stove top stuffing.

14. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking meatloaf! Smoked is the only way to go!

15. deer hunters

deer hunters Newbie

I am going to try the meat loaf tonight.  I need to buy a perforated pan, and use my regular recipe,(3lbs sirloin, ketchup, yellow mustard, onions, garlic, brown sugar, bread crumbs,2 eggs, 1 cup milk, and a pinch of kitchen bouquet.

It will go on my new Texas Brazzo any suggestions.

Deer Hunters 

16. floridasteve

I don't use a perforated pan,  I put my meat loaf on a sheet of aluminum foil then trim the edges to about 1" all the way around.

17. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Instead of a perforated pan, try a Bradley rack or some other type of cooling rack. Also, I like oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. It just seems to have a different texture for me.

deer hunters likes this.
  18. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking meatloaf.  Too bad no leftovers.

Those fries look really good--never thought of that.

Gary

19. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good looking Mea5loaf . These bundles of Meat and majic make for some marvelous meals , everytime ! :drool

20. seguragreenwave

seguragreenwave Fire Starter

Both dishes look great. Good motivation to try smoking a meatloaf.