Smoked meat loaf?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyreb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 4, 2005
SC
oh yea smoked meat loaf just make your basic meat loaf for the oven and take it to another level in the smoker!!!!

Man oh man! That looks wonderful....I hope my wife didn't see me sniffing the monitor...LOL!

Cheers,
Brian

should be 160* internal, im thinking this one took about 3 hours at 225*

those vegetable baskets work good to hold the loaf and there are holes on the bottom to allow smoke penetration

I have been smoking my meat loaf in the smoker for many years now as have others on this board I am sure... it is absolutely unbelievable!

You can not imagine the number of emails I have recieved from people after they read and tried my smoked meat loaf page on the website saying they would NEVER cook another meat loaf in the house the traditional way.

My point is... if you have not tried it then by all means go to the meat market and get 5-10 pounds of 70/30 or 80/20 ground beef and make it into 5 pound loafs according to your favorite recipe and form it just like the picture here on this thread...

You will believe you are in heaven when you take the first bite! :P

I mentioned to my Bride that I was going to try my hand at doing a smoked meatloaf. She just looked at me, rolled her eyes and said "Well, why not. It'll keep the heat out of the kitchen and I won't have to cook".

My kids want me to do my Smoked Baked Potatoes for them when I do the meatloaf.

Smoked Baked Potatoes

1 Medium sized baking potato per person
Vegetable oil
Kosher salt

Give each 'tater a generous rub down with the vegetable oil and sprinkle all over with kosher salt. Place on rack in smoker and “bake†for approx. 90 minutes or until fork tender (fork should insert easily).

Earl,

Once she tastes that smoked meat loaf.. you will be her hero I am sure. 8) Those baked potatoes sound good too. I have never rubbed mine with oil and salt but it sounds great so I will probably try it soon.

You know how you normally top a meat loaf with ketchup during the last part of the cook... well try some good barbecue sauce instead for a nice and tasty twist.

Jeff,

The Bride picked up some "Cattleman's BBQ sauce" the other day. Maybe I'll give it a go on the meatloaf.

Hi All,
well after reading about the smoked loaf I had to give it a try. Man was it tasty, I ground up about six onion pepper flavored brats and mixed with 3 pounds of burger threw in a couple diced up red and yellow peppers , a onion and about half a jar of pace mild. Smoked it for 2 hours at about 275 using mesquite and hickory and pulled it at about 170* internal temp. I thought it would take longer but it seemed fine . I'll be doing that again, thanks for the inspiration ... Pawneetom

Tried a variation of the smoked meatloaf. I love smoked meatloaf and love mashed potatoes with it. So I mixed up my meatloaf as usual and put a layer of meatloaf then a layer of mashed potatoes (normal with butter and cream) then a layer of meatloaf on top, making a meatloaf and mashed potato sandwich. Smoked by the crazyhorse method and it was delicious.

Took a digital picture but forgot to move picture to computer and the camera is at my farm. When I go back up next week I will add picture.

Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t let your meat loaf.

Dan
f2064a1e_vbattach10392.jpg

I also like smoked meatloaf:
0106.jpg

And baked potatoes with bacon grease, salt & pepper:
0026.jpg

Just when I thought I have seen and heard just about everything that there is to smoke, I see this thread. These pictures look awesome. Looks like I get to cook dinner again!

I like to use hickory but I've also used a cherry/hickory mix.

Rockie everyone's tastes are different so you may get a couple different opinionated answers of 'best'. I like pecan or a pecan-apple blend ... but I like that on about everything.
wink.gif

Ground meats like hamburger and sausage tend to absorb smoke quite easily so go light on the amount of smoke used for you first meatloaf or you may not like the results.

I agree with Bob!

However; (the military word for "but") it really does make a difference where you live because in some geographical areas of the US oak maple and hickory are easily obtained but some other types of hardwood are not easily obtained and you may be able to get anything shipped to your own personal area of occupation from anywhere..

so it does make a difference as to where you live and what hardwoods are available to you1 :)

ranger72

:)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky