Smoked Mac & Cheese -- Comfort Food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2018
LaPorte Indiana
It's cold and rainy outside. It's my turn to cook dinner but I don't want to be watching over a smoker for hours and hours (okay, maybe I'm a little grumpy) . Time for some comfort food.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to home-made Mac and Cheese. Those that like crunchy, cheesy and those that prefer creamier. I think we would all agree that either one is way better than anything that comes out of a box. The following recipe is for a creamy style (the pictures are a doubled recipe)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cottage cheese (not low fat)
  • 2 cups milk (not skim)
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • Pinch cayenne
  • Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • ½ pound elbow pasta, uncooked.
ingredients.jpg

Instructions
  1. Get your smoker going at about 250. I used hickory for a "full flavor" but use whatever you prefer.
  2. In a blender, puree cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.
    blender.jpg

3. Reserve ¼ cup grated cheese for topping.
  4. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta.
    bowl.jpg

5. Pour mixture in a greased/buttered pan
    readyfor oven.jpg

6. Place in smoker and cook for one hour.
  7. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cook for another hour.
  8. Serve and enjoy
    finished.jpg

So are the ingredients for a single batch, but you have a double batch in the 9x12 correct? Looks like a keeper for sure.

Thanks everyone for you kind words. I was as tasty as it looked. Wish I could have shared it with you.

I entirely wickedly forgot how much cheese this truly needs. Got one pound of shredded cheddar. I am going to hand shred a pound of smoked pepper jack for the other pound I need in a double batch. Sunday dinner hopefully is going to be amazing :)

Mac and cheese tuned out excellent. If we can get this finished off (just me and ma, lots of eating) . Might have to do another round for Christmas for one of the days
20181212_125343.jpg 20181212_171217.jpg

Think this could be made without the cottage cheese? If so I'm sure some other numbers need to be tweaked

Nice looking Mac-n-cheese. I like to add some pan fried cubed ham or kielbasa to mine. Sometimes a little bacon mixed in for good measure.

Point for sure
Chris

Thought I'd report in on another batch I just did of this..

I did it in the oven at 250, it turns out fine, but you might want to add an extra 10 minutes in the oven. I used smoked cheese and it didn't quite get as ooey gooey as I had hoped. Not sure if this was due to the oven, or because it was smoked cheese.

Given the lack of leftovers, I'd say people still liked it :)

857536EC-6AD8-4EB4-8AB4-FFEAC0EA1853.jpeg

I have made a few Mac and Cheeses in my master built using this recipe and another no boil one. Here is today’s results! I omit the cottage cheese and replace it with a can of Campbell cheddar cheese soup!

I have beans finishing up soon and also my first crack at brisket....sorta. It’s just a wee brisket pot roast really that I’m smoking like brisket would be done. Actual brisket is hard to come by and worth it’s weight in gold here in Nova Scotia.

It's been a while so thought it was time to spin one up. Gotta thank oldsmokerdude, I love this recipe.
All mixed up
20190801_150057.jpg
After couple hrs as recommended
20190801_170653.jpg
Chow time with some pork loin from a few days ago.
20190801_171100.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky