Smoked kielbasa turns into fresh polish sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Started  out with this pork butt last weekend to make some kielbasa

Cut and ground with 3/8 plate

I got 9.5 pounds out of an 11 pound butt

spices mixed-cure #1,marjoram ,salt,  garlic and pepper

32 mm hog casings soaking and casing on the tube ready to stuff

casing being stuffed and the sausage ready for the smoker UNTIL I got called into work so no smoking was done. All the sausage was frozen to be eaten fresh as polish sausage. Oh well it will still be good but not what I had intended to do !

It will be great as it looks!!!  Thanks for the pics. I love fresh polish with or without cure.  Better than brats in my opinion. 
points.gif
Reinhard.

CM we love the fresh (white Kielbasi) you can send it here for prompt disposal 

Richie

points.gif

Thanks guys for the comments and points! We will devour it  but I had my heart set on some good old smoked kielbasa !

Thanks guys for the comments and points! We will devour it  but I had my heart set on some good old smoked kielbasa !
CM I put cure in most of my sausage now,it just adds to the color.Making some Chicken and pork fat Breakfast sausage tomorrow,no cure for that one.

Thanks for sharing.

Richie

Can we talk? You made a mistake!! I am the mistake corrections meister. Please chill and package enough  fresh polish sausage to go with a pint of my home made kraut. And a little mustard.

Great job!!The fresh polish sausage is my favorite of the fresh sausages also. Weisswurst

Reactions: crazymoon
I have a quick question - is it okay for your fresh sausage to have the instacure in it - I was going to smoke mine and was unable to - I guess it's stays fresh - so it's still good to eat it still then ?

I have a quick question - is it okay for your fresh sausage to have the instacure in it - I was going to smoke mine and was unable to - I guess it's stays fresh - so it's still good to eat it still then ?
You will be fine,it is only going to add a pinkish color

Richie

Reactions: gtwiz
This is an old thread, but I'll answer your question...

Yes, it's perfectly fine to use the cure in a fresh sausage, but keep in mind that the cooked product will be pink in color due to the cure that's in it.  You'll still need to use it within a week (refrigerated) or freeze it for later use.

Reactions: gtwiz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky