Smoked Ham & ABT's on MES40 with Plenty of Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

callahan4life

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Callahan, Florida
Yesterday my son and I took a Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham and rubbed it down with paprika, white sugar and onion powder. We wrapped it and stashed in the fridge overnight (actually about 24 hours).

Today we took it out and put it in my MES40 at 250*F for 3 hours.

I was also using my AMZNPS with a mixture of hickory and maple pellets.

My wife made a glaze with butter, dark brown sugar, molasses, apple cider, Jack Daniel’s and cinnamon. I poured the warm glaze over the ham after it was removed from the smoker.

We also made a few ABT'S stuffed with 4-blend Mexican shreaded cheese.

Other sides (not smoked) were green beans, candied yams and cornbread.

Q-VIEW:

This is about 1 1/2 hours in (as we added the ABT's

92b281b2_SmokedHam12-19-2011001.jpg

About 2 1/4 hours

15249808_SmokedHam12-19-2011002.jpg

065c1ef5_SmokedHam12-19-2011003.jpg

aef1530c_SmokedHam12-19-2011003.jpg

At 3 hours removed from the smoker

ef069b7b_SmokedHam12-19-2011004.jpg

All glazed up

45eab16a_SmokedHam12-19-2011007.jpg

82a4b481_SmokedHam12-19-2011008.jpg

ABT's ready for the smoker

3169412d_ABTs12-19-2011001.jpg

Into the smoker

1b046dd5_ABTs12-19-2011002.jpg

About 1 1/4 hours in

9d0dc4ad_ABTs12-19-2011003.jpg

ABT'S done at 1 1/2 hours in

99d15cf0_ABTs12-19-2011004.jpg

12e6ab73_ABTs12-19-2011005.jpg

All plated and ready to eat

a1b3ec3c_SmokedHamABTsPlated12-19-2011001.jpg

4f9da4ad_SmokedHamABTsPlated12-19-2011003.jpg

fbf7d30c_SmokedHamABTsPlated12-19-2011002.jpg

d20bcb99_PIAPBBQSmokedHamABTs12-19-2011.jpg

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a nice dinner plate you have there.

Damn that looks great. I have been wanting to smoke a ham for a long time and really want to use a Smithfiled Ham as everybody raves about their cured hams. The only Smithfield hams I can find locally are those spiral cut ones. I have passed on them because they are pre-cut and figured they would come out on the dry side. Was it real moist? Would you go that route again? I might just have to add one to the XMAS meal list. Thanks for posting!

Damn that looks great. I have been wanting to smoke a ham for a long time and really want to use a Smithfiled Ham as everybody raves about their cured hams. The only Smithfield hams I can find locally are those spiral cut ones. I have passed on them because they are pre-cut and figured they would come out on the dry side. Was it real moist? Would you go that route again? I might just have to add one to the XMAS meal list. Thanks for posting!

This was a first for me and a precurser to our New Years Day Meal.  The ham was very juicy. Your only smoking it for 3 hours at 250*, so I dont think there is much chance of drying it out. Remember it is already cured and cooked by Smithfield. Later tonight, I'll type it up for my Recipe Computer Program and send you a copy if you want it. I WILL be doing this again and not just at holidays either.

This was a first for me and a precurser to our New Years Day Meal.  The ham was very juicy. Your only smoking it for 3 hours at 250*, so I dont think there is much chance of drying it out. Remember it is already cured and cooked by Smithfield. Later tonight, I'll type it up for my Recipe Computer Program and send you a copy if you want it. I WILL be doing this again and not just at holidays either.
Thanks for the reply! Just what I wanted to hear. I would love to have your recipe! I might just use  it, if not a variation of it. I'm deep frying a Turkey for XMAS and I think I will be adding a smoked ham to the meal. I've been looking for a cured but uncut Smithfield Ham for the last month but the only place I can find them is online which does not satisfy my need for instant gratification and is also very expensive. I will be hitting Vons tomorrow if not later tonight to grab a spiral cut Smithfield to add to XMAS dinner!   

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Just what I wanted to hear. I would love to have your recipe! I might just use  it, if not a variation of it. I'm deep frying a Turkey for XMAS and I think I will be adding a smoked ham to the meal. I've been looking for a cured but uncut Smithfield Ham for the last month but the only place I can find them is online which does not satisfy my need for instant gratification and is also very expensive. I will be hitting Vons tomorrow if not later tonight to grab a spiral cut Smithfield to add to XMAS dinner!   

Get you about a 10# one, preferably the shank end ( I think it has more spiral slices). I'll get that recipe to you tonight.

Get you about a 10# one, preferably the shank end ( I think it has more spiral slices). I'll get that recipe to you tonight.

I'm on it. They had the ones with the bone in em around Thanksgiving and that was exactly what I was going to look for. I'm reasonably certain they should have them now as well. My fingers are crossed! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks David--- I am a newbie and was just gonna post and ask about Smokin a Spiral Cut ham.... Looks Delicious!!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours sir...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky