Smoked Goose Ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lathechips

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
How to smoke a grain feed goose in a mes? Marinate, cure, brine, inject ? Temp & time ? Help ?

Last edited:
I will inject creole butter if I ever shoot another 1, love it for turkey so would probably love it for goose too

Since moving away from Iowa I haven’t cooked a goose. But we used to do them with a lot of butter snd bacon! I’d follow mikes recommendation!

Brown sugar based brines go really well with goose, you can do it whole or parts, one of my old work buddies would cut the breast in thick slices like jerky, brine and smoke....was very good!

OK guys, I don’t have the opportunity to shoot a goose. But I can buy a frozen one in the grocery store. Never smoked, grilled, or cooked on a SM grill. So if I get one, what is the best way to cook one? And what IT to you take it too. According to the internet, a goose is a very difficult bird to cook. Of course that is why I want to try it. Thanks for any advice!
Al

I had goose one time, and didn't like it.
We love Wild Duck, but Wild Goose not so much.
Way back, My Mom made a Goose like a Turkey, in the oven, and it was a Greasy mess. Big Fat Greasy Bird!!!
Wild Ducks are awesome!!
Never had store bought Duck or Goose.
That's all I got on Goose.

Bear

Never ran goose it but Marianski says wild game most definitely benefits from curing. On that note, I'd probably do pastrami or making some sausage with it.

I hunt Snow Geese every spring in South Dakota. I dearly love to hunt them but eating them is another matter until I started making pastrami out of them which was a game changer. Same thing with domestic goose too expensive and not very good in my opinion.

lathechips lathechips , SmokinAl SmokinAl

Here is one of my favorites. . .I have others as well. Let me know what you are interested in. Corned Goose, Goose Pastrami, Smoked Wild Goose, etc.

Grilled Rolled Goose/Duck Breasts​

• Marinate the breasts in whatever marinade you prefer for at least 24 hours.
  • Place the breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half almost to the end (butterfly them).
  • Place the breasts on the grill pocket side down. Grill for a minute or so enough to brown and sear the inside.
  • Remove from the grill. In the pocket lay a slice of Smoked Gouda, strips of Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, and a slice/glob of Cream Cheese*.
  • Close the pocket. Wrap and roll the breasts with a strip of bacon to fully close and secure with a toothpick. Place the rolled breasts on the covered grill at medium heat for 8 to 9 minutes each side.
  • Serve with wild rice, a good red wine, and enjoy!

* Any cheese or pepper combination can be substituted to suit your tastes. I have used Jalapeno Peppers and Pepperjack Cheese for a kicked up version of this recipe.

A great Marinade before grilling or smoking.

1 Cup Port Wine
1 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup+ Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 Med. Minced Onion
1/2 ts. Each of: Parsley, Basil, Thyme, Tarragon, and Black Pepper
2 ts. Lemon Zest

Whisk together all ingredients and allow goose breasts to marinate at least 24 hours.
Before smoking, sprinkle with your favorite rub or poultry seasoning.
Smoke the breasts at 225˚ until they reach an internal temperature of 170˚ Try not to let these smoke too long or they may dry out and the sugar from the marinade can scorch.

Enjoy,

John

Here is one of my favorites. . .I have others as well. Let me know what you are interested in. Corned Goose, Goose Pastrami, Smoked Wild Goose, etc.

• Place the breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half almost to the end (butterfly them).
  • Place the breasts on the grill pocket side down. Grill for a minute or so enough to brown and sear the inside.
  • Remove from the grill. In the pocket lay a slice of Smoked Gouda, strips of Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, and a slice/glob of Cream Cheese*.
  • Close the pocket. Wrap and roll the breasts with a strip of bacon to fully close and secure with a toothpick. Place the rolled breasts on the covered grill at medium heat for 8 to 9 minutes each side.

* Any cheese or pepper combination can be substituted to suit your tastes. I have used Jalapeno Peppers and Pepperjack Cheese for a kicked up version of this recipe.

1 Cup Port Wine
1 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup+ Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 Med. Minced Onion
2 ts. Lemon Zest

Whisk together all ingredients and allow goose breasts to marinate at least 24 hours.
Smoke the breasts at 225˚ until they reach an internal temperature of 170˚ Try not to let these smoke too long or they may dry out and the sugar from the marinade can scorch.

Enjoy,

John

Thank-you John!
I bookmarked it!
Al

1 Cup Port Wine
1 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup+ Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 Med. Minced Onion
2 ts. Lemon Zest

Enjoy,

John
The guys that say that they don't like wild geese most likely had either Snow goose or Canada goose.
I would be willing to bet that they would love Whitefront/Specklebelly geese.

Take the goose breast off the caucus, skin it then butterfly it to make a pocket, fill the pocket with Fontana cheese and a slice of Pancetta then add 2-4 fresh sage leafs close the pocket with 2-3 toothpicks, season breasts with Montreal Seasoning and sauté in EVOO, cook it to an internal temp of 138* for med rare. You can also add a slice of Pablano pepper into the pocket, it's KILL'ER!!!
Do not brine if you have Whitefront/Specklebelly goose, it doesn't need it, only brine Canada geese and Snow geese in salt and water brine, no sugar needed.
1640957216757.png

This was cooked until 132" I like my wildfowl rare.
1640957334525.png

Serve over a bed of Polenta with a red wine or Marsala reduction. This is amazing for all waterfowl, both wild and domestic. I'm a wildfowl hunter, I don't buy birds.

For smoking, frying or sautéing you want both wild or domestic duck and goose to be med rare to max temp of Med 145?

If it's Snow or Canada geese than you should make corned goose like corned beef it's killer.

Last edited:
The guys that say that they don't like wild geese most likely had either Snow goose or Canada goose.
I would be willing to bet that they would love Whitefront/Specklebelly geese.

Unfortunately I never got an opportunity to hunt Whitefront/Specklebelly Geese. The Canada is the dominant goose here in Pennsylvania. I did have several opportunities to hunt Snow Geese and found them to be delicious as well.

Goose is an acquired taste as is most wild game. When people say that something tastes "gamey" it usually is because it is an unfamiliar taste to them. If you never tasted a chicken and had it for the first time, it would probably taste "gamey" to you as well. Geese for the most part eat grasses and grains. . .How could that possibly make them taste bad?

Thanks for the recipe. . .Sounds great!

John

Last edited:
I also have 1 plucked snow goose I am trying to figure out what to do with. Kinda on the fence yet to smoke or just roast ( or other ) :emoji_thinking:

I also have 1 plucked snow goose I am trying to figure out what to do with. Kinda on the fence yet to smoke or just roast ( or other ) :emoji_thinking:

Winterrider Winterrider
Most of the fowl (pardon the pun) greasy taste that Bearcarver Bearcarver referred to and most people find "gamey" is found in the skin of the bird.

I always skinned the geese I had and used bacon to keep them from drying out. Works like a charm.
John

My father and I would breast them, no skin, and save the gizzards. Then cut up into bite size chunks to wrap in bacon, like an appetizer. I think sometimes we would marinade in Italian. I remember them being really good, but Those are some memories from over 30 years ago. Maybe tainted by nostalgia.

My father and I would breast them, no skin, and save the gizzards. Then cut up into bite size chunks to wrap in bacon, like an appetizer. I think sometimes we would marinade in Italian. I remember them being really good, but Those are some memories from over 30 years ago. Maybe tainted by nostalgia.

LOL! I'm sure they were delicious. Your nostalgia is spot on!

John

1 Cup Port Wine
1 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup+ Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 Med. Minced Onion
2 ts. Lemon Zest

Enjoy,

John

I going to use this marinade today on a couple game hens I just thawed up for tomorrow’s meal!

I like snow geese, I think they get a bad wrap, I used to make stir-fry out of them, where I hunt now I don't get them anymore. I used to kill 50 to 100+ per season when I was hunting the Sacramento valley rice and wheat fields. I don't care for Canada geese unless it has been corned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky