Smoked duck ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thehenno

Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
I am an Aussie in a very small country town. I use a UDS and usually smoke brined chickens using a Jeff Phillips brine. I won't post his link here as I am not aware of your rules as yet and if the site is a friend or foe of yours. It calls for Zatarains liquid shrimp and crab boild and what I have gone through to get that down under is a story in itself!

My next mission is a recipe from my favorite book 'charcuterie' by Ruhlman & Polcyn. It is their smoked duck ham on P82 of their hard cover. Anyhoo, if you don't have this book it uses 6 whole duck breasts brined in salt,sugar,madeira,maple syrup,pink salt,thyme,bay leaves,juniper berries and sage.

How do you guys think whole ducks, which i have ready to go, would substitute for the breasts?

It is the first time I have used pink salt and I am wondering whether this may pool or be condensed in the joints in the wings etc.?

Nice forum guys and gals. You Americans are serious foodies.

Cheers from Aus

Henno

I am an Aussie in a very small country town. I use a UDS and usually smoke brined chickens using a Jeff Phillips brine. I won't post his link here as I am not aware of your rules as yet and if the site is a friend or foe of yours. It calls for Zatarains liquid shrimp and crab boild and what I have gone through to get that down under is a story in itself!

My next mission is a recipe from my favorite book 'charcuterie' by Ruhlman & Polcyn. It is their smoked duck ham on P82 of their hard cover. Anyhoo, if you don't have this book it uses 6 whole duck breasts brined in salt,sugar,madeira,maple syrup,pink salt,thyme,bay leaves,juniper berries and sage.

How do you guys think whole ducks, which i have ready to go, would substitute for the breasts?

It is the first time I have used pink salt and I am wondering whether this may pool or be condensed in the joints in the wings etc.?

Nice forum guys and gals. You Americans are serious foodies.

Cheers from Aus

Henno
Jeff's the founder of this forum. If it's one of the publicly available recipes I'm sure it is fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky