Smoked cream cheese storage time/tips needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spuds

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OK,here's the deal.

Ive smoked cream cheese before and its excellent,but I want to store it for a friend who visits every few months.I did it at 41 degrees ambient in a bullet style smoker,and from experience know the amazen smoker with cherry dust adds but a temp or two to smoker temps when ambient so low so didnt even bother checking it,it was still cold.Did 2.5 hours and used 1/2 row of dust during the smoking.Got 4 hours on one row (did other hard cheese at same time)

I kept cheese very clean by opening wrapper and not touching it and laying wrapper on grill,and using tongs to transfer to vacuum bags and vacuum sealing.

Its in the refer at about 37 degree's. So the question.....

How long will it last? Any storage tips on cream cheese?

Yup,I searched and didnt get answer,and Mr T your cheese tutorial was very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: foamheart
Thanks for reply David.

Does the smoke act as a preservative? Ive done plenty hard cheese and know vacuum sealed is great and saran wrap is a moldy disaster.

So 3 months,6 months,a year or more?

Last edited:

Thanks for reply David.

Some reason pics wont post but links work now at least on my end.

So 3 months,6 months,a year or more?
I have had it last a year. I'm not sure how long it will last. Send MR T a pm. He knows cheese
biggrin.gif

Reactions: spuds
Thanks David, much appreciated...just what I needed to know.

Hope Mr T will chime in.

Would like to hear how others have made out too doing this regarding storage and how you prepped and smoked and sealed and anything else to maximize storage times?

Snooky says Thank You.

Last edited:
Spuds, you will have no problem keeping your cheese to the use by date if you simply rewrap it in the original foil.  By vacuum sealing it will most likely keep fresh even longer.  My wife simply re-wraps and it keeps for weeks.

Note: The use by date on cheese is usually meant to insure the flavor that was intended by the producer (mild, medium, sharp or so on).

Waxing soft cheeses is not recommended.  Not only will it melt when the wax is applied, but it would be difficult to hold its shape as cheese wax is very pliable. Even hard cheeses should be turned from time to time.

You should be able to remove the cheese from the foil and place it on a rack or screen type material.  It will give you a better smoke coverage.

Hope this helps.

Tom

It'll keep for a LONG time. The smoke isn't really what preserves it, but the culture is. It's essentially the same family as buttermilk and sour cream, meaning it's allowed to spoil in a controlled environment (culture) which grows certain bacteria which in turn fight off the bacteria that cause spoilage. If you need to keep it for more than a few months, you can freeze it. Just tell your friend to thaw it in the fridge and then mix it in an electric mixer until it's smooth. I've done this with cream cheese many times and there is no noticeable loss in quality.

Reactions: spuds
Really good info folks,appreciated.Nice to see the mixer treatment for creamed frozen cheese,we did before and just tried thawing,not good,great idea to mix it up MD.

Mr T ,Ive been doing it on wrapper and had good results for sure,I will try some directly on grill.

Don't anyone show this thread to Fanboys!

I would have never have thought of smoking cream cheese.

Oooo...... smoked cream cheese with "Pickapeppa Sauce" .... my mouth just started watering!

Thanks Spuds for the inspiration !

Don't anyone show this thread to Fanboys!

I would have never have thought of smoking cream cheese.

Oooo...... smoked cream cheese with "Pickapeppa Sauce" .... my mouth just started watering!

Thanks Spuds for the inspiration !
====================

Cant take credit,it came from SMF,Im appreciative too.

Yup,go for it,its awesome to the extreme.

You know,these smoked cheeses make great gifts and trade items,this is un-doable to most folks thinking.They have no idea how simple or inexpensive this is.

Im smoking some cheap 88 cents cream chees right now on my charcoal grill. Im hoping to amp up my holiday cheeseballs. Should the cheese set for a while before I make it into a cheese ball or can I make it up and then let it sit? Any thoughts?

It'll keep for a LONG time. The smoke isn't really what preserves it, but the culture is. It's essentially the same family as buttermilk and sour cream, meaning it's allowed to spoil in a controlled environment (culture) which grows certain bacteria which in turn fight off the bacteria that cause spoilage. If you need to keep it for more than a few months, you can freeze it. Just tell your friend to thaw it in the fridge and then mix it in an electric mixer until it's smooth. I've done this with cream cheese many times and there is no noticeable loss in quality.

============================================================================
OK,this will be next to try for me.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky