Smoked coffee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
002.JPG
003.JPG
Okay, I will do a detailed post after a few more roasts, taking pics of the process. It is SOOOO easy! Just finished the first roast of 1/2 cup (3.3 oz) of green Nicaraguan Coffee Beans from Primo Coffee Company ($19 Amazon), and it was a piece of cake, even with the issues I had. Learned a bit too.

Equipment used.
1. Small frying pan. I used an All-Clad stainless steel pan. More on this later.
2. Infrared therm.
3. Large mesh strainer (can use a metal colander)
4. Electric fan.
5. Heat resistant gloves for each hand.
6. Wood or heat resistant spoon or spatula to stir the beans during the roast.
7. Phone app with timer.
8. Green coffee beans.

Process I used. Everything was done outdoors. It is smoky and a lot of chaff is created. You don't want that inside the house. You stir the beans for the entire roast, never stopping.
1. Set the frying pan on the gasser's side burner to preheat. Side burner was on low. Took about 5 minutes for the infrared therm to read 350F.
2. While it was heating, I plugged in the fan, staged my equipment, and put on my gloves.
3. Had to take one glove off to start the timer (Doh!).
4. Used 1/2 cup (3.3 oz) of green beans. Dumped them in the frying pan and started stirring.
5. Saw scorch marks immediately on the beans. Pan was too hot. Raised the pan and kept stirring. The beans are supposed to turn yellow, then tan, then brownish when they start "cracking," which sounds like popcorn popping. This is called the "first crack." It should happen around 6-8 minutes when the temp is correct.
6. Started hearing the first "crack" at around 4 minutes, way too soon. Kept the pan raised until the cracking settled down.
7. When back on schedule, I blew on the beans. Chaff flew everywhere.
8. Kept stirring, watching the color of the beans change. I had to hold the pan well above the fire for most of the roast, only setting it down when my arm got tired.
9. The "second crack," which is kind of a quiet snap (like Rice Crispies and milk), happened at about 10 minutes. I forgot to look at the timer for the exact time.
10. Paid close attention to color, and when I liked what I saw at 12 minutes, I turned off the fire, dumped the hot beans in the mesh strainer, turned my fan on high, and stirred the bean over the fan to cool them off. If you don't do this, they keep roasting. It also blows away any remaining chaff.
11. By 14.5 minutes on the timer, they were cold.
12. Brought them inside, took a couple pics, and put the beans in a Ziplock bag while they outgas CO2. I left one edge of the bag open. After 4 hours you can grind and brew. Some folks say to wait 24-48 hours for peak flavor. I'll try them Saturday morning, about 18 hours after roasting.
13. When the roast was over, they had swelled to a little more than 3/4 cup and weighed in at 2.65 oz.

Lessons learned:
1. Next time I'll only heat the pan to 250F before adding the beans.
2. I'm going to buy an 8-10" wok to use instead of a frying pan. I probably lost 15 or so beans while stirring in the lower profile frying pan. A wok would be easier to stir and eliminate waste.
3. It was WAAAY easier than I expected, even with the heat issues. Can't wait to grind and brew them. I'll post again tomorrow morning. Depending how much of a grind I get out of these beans, I'll do a "pour over" brew in my cone coffee maker and a Moka Pot brew on the stove top.

This morning I fixed a 12 oz mug of cone filtered "pour over" coffee. Just now I fixed an 8 oz cup of Italian Moka pot coffee. My god, what a difference in fresh roasted beans ground right before use compared to store bought beans ground right before use. The term I hear used over and over again is store bought beans are "dead," and fresh roasted and ground beans are "alive." There's no better way to describe it. I'm blown away by the flavor, depth, and long, satisfying finish of the fresh roasted and ground beans.

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the wok idea for today's roast. A new wok I was going to buy at BB&Beyond was $20. A wooden spatula for stirring the beans while roasting was $8. Out of the blue I thought about going to the Goodwill store to see what they have. At the GW store I found a heavy, 4" deep, 8" diameter saucepan and a wooden spatula, both perfect for roasting coffee on my side burner. Total price out the door, $2.88.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky