smoked cocktails

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Anyone making smoked cocktails?
Seems a bit hipster.

Maybe im wrong, but I can't imagine good smokey flavors setteling onto an ice cold glass from an enclosed cloud of thick white smoke.
Ever mistaken your beer for that bottle people have been dropping their cigarette into? 🤢

I’ve tried it at a cocktail bar. Feels more style over substance to be honest. I’m happy enough with a standard cocktail or beer when smoking or eating!

Reactions: PPG1
Had an old fashioned in a glass smoked with tobacco once. It was delicious, but I could easily see messing it up and ruining the cocktail.

Reactions: Plinsc
A little smoked ice and whiskey is pretty good in the winter. First time I did it I used too strong of a wood and smoked the ice for too long. Almost ruined whiskey for me haha

I don't do hard liquor anymore so I don't think I'll be trying it. I doubt if the Absolut & Cranberry or the Vodka Martinis I used to like would have benefited
from smoke. Sounds like a push to sell gizmos.....

I've smoked water to make ice cube and with a little Elijah Craig Bourbon it's fantastic... I've also smoked vodka (cause it's cheap) but it was hardly worth my time.

first drink or two is for taste, rest is for effect. havent drank cigarette butts yet, but when drinks were in full effect i have drank my chew spit by mistake.

Islay Scotch is the original smoked cocktail.

I like a smokey whisky that isn't too sweet, which eliminates most bourbons, Canadians, and Irish whiskies. Islay Scotch whiskies are the smokiest and least sweet, but they are definitely an acquired taste. Not recommended for first time scotch drinkers. When I find one I like, I can literally sniff the complex aromas for a good ten minutes before taking the first neat sip.

Found one recently that I love. A half finger in a glencairn or small snifter is all I need. So complex with a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG finish. 8 hours later, the empty glass still has that amazing aroma.

The whisky?

Scarabus.

Reactions: mcokevin
Help me out, folks. Just got a smoking gun and tried a smoked manhattan. I used a few slivers of fatwood and let the liquor smoke for about four minutes. It was completely undrinkable. Tasted like pure tar. What'd I do wrong and what should I do differently? Different wood? Less smoke time? Smoke the glass but not the liquor? I was pumped to try this, but it was so bad. Complete waste of 7oz of Buffalo Trace.

Help me out, folks. Just got a smoking gun and tried a smoked manhattan. I used a few slivers of fatwood and let the liquor smoke for about four minutes. It was completely undrinkable. Tasted like pure tar. What'd I do wrong and what should I do differently? Different wood? Less smoke time? Smoke the glass but not the liquor? I was pumped to try this, but it was so bad. Complete waste of 7oz of Buffalo Trace.
Fatwood is toxic. Don't do that again!

Reactions: NDB
Anyone making smoked cocktails?
Seems a bit hipster.

Maybe im wrong, but I can't imagine good smokey flavors setteling onto an ice cold glass from an enclosed cloud of thick white smoke.
Ever mistaken your beer for that bottle people have been dropping their cigarette into? 🤢

My totally non-hipster, continuously hunting, son has one. It is fun to use, especially if I get gifted a bottle of bourbon I am not particularly fond of. Let's add some smoke...maybe it'll help it. It takes a few minutes for the smoke flavor to get into the liquid. I usually wait 3 to 5 minutes before I sample it.

I also view it more as a novelty...but it is fun to use when we have company. It gets a workout.

How does one smoke water to make cubes? just put it in a pan and smoke for a period of time, then make ice?

How does one smoke water to make cubes? just put it in a pan and smoke for a period of time, then make ice?

The key to smoking water (or any other liquid) is breaking the surface tension of the water say every 30 minutes. This is a great process to do cold smoking ( pellets in a tube for example) I'd use hickory or anything lighter and let it go for 4 or 5 hours. Excess heat will obviously evaporate the liquid.

Once you've smoked the water, make sure to strain out any ash etc.. but do not run it through a coffee filter which will actually reduce the smoke flavor.

Pour it into a cheap plastic ice cube tray and let it freeze. Don't use your regular ice cube trays otherwise the significant other will be upset!

Reactions: clifish
Agree on the fatwood - pine wood has resins in it that make for a good firestarter but absolutely terrible for consuming!

Some people love smoked foods but not drinks, so it helps if you can enjoy a strong-flavored Scotch, mezcal, or at least a Bloody Mary. Maybe start simple with Manhattans or, for something less sweet, try a smoked Negroni? Starting out, smoking a batch of simple syrup may also be easier than smoking individual cocktails directly.

Also, smoke in a cocktail, like bitters, falernum, verjus, etc., is no magic bullet to instantly improve a basic drink, but, used correctly, it *can* contribute to an outstanding one. I've had skilled bartenders turn out a fantastic drink or two using the smoke gun (including a surprising take on pisco with raspberry & Lillet) but they - and the distillers of smoky liquors - train considerably to get there. I'd cut anyone a bit of slack the first few tries... and strongly suggest practicing first with less-than-great booze!

Reactions: NDB and TNJAKE
Agree on the fatwood - pine wood has resins in it that make for a good firestarter but absolutely terrible for consuming!

Some people love smoked foods but not drinks, so it helps if you can enjoy a strong-flavored Scotch, mezcal, or at least a Bloody Mary. Maybe start simple with Manhattans or, for something less sweet, try a smoked Negroni? Starting out, smoking a batch of simple syrup may also be easier than smoking individual cocktails directly.

Also, smoke in a cocktail, like bitters, falernum, verjus, etc., is no magic bullet to instantly improve a basic drink, but, used correctly, it *can* contribute to an outstanding one. I've had skilled bartenders turn out a fantastic drink or two using the smoke gun (including a surprising take on pisco with raspberry & Lillet) but they - and the distillers of smoky liquors - train considerably to get there. I'd cut anyone a bit of slack the first few tries... and strongly suggest practicing first with less-than-great booze!
Thanks! I'll ditch the fatwood. Too much resin makes sense for why the taste was so sooty and tar-like. I like the idea of smoking the syrup. Will give that a whirl.

Some people love smoked foods but not drinks, so it helps if you can enjoy a strong-flavored Scotch, mezcal, or at least a Bloody Mary. Maybe start simple with Manhattans or, for something less sweet, try a smoked Negroni?

A bullshot is a good candidate for smoked ice or smoked whiskey. A Bullshot is basically a Bloody Mary that swaps out the tomato juice for beef broth, but you can add some signature ingredients of your own.

My totally non-hipster, continuously hunting, son has one. It is fun to use, especially if I get gifted a bottle of bourbon I am not particularly fond of. Let's add some smoke...maybe it'll help it.

uxb6EaA.jpg
If you're ever gifted some of this swill..... nothing can save it. It burns like h#ll and has a distinct kerosene aftertaste. When Steve Nally retired from Makers Mark, these guys hired him as the master distiller. About 5 years into a 10 year aging process, someone decided to start marketing it. Nally immediately quit and demanded that his name be removed from all advertising.

• Haha
Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky