Smoked Chicken Wings with pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjerich

Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello all,

This is my first contribution to the site.  Been wanting to try smoked chicken wings for quite some time now.  I finally had the opportunity to do it before the Steelers game this Sunday and I am sure glad I did.  First and foremost I want to give credit to S2K9K  for the sauce injection idea.  Of the three types of wings I made the Franks Red Hot was by far the winner of the night. 

I didn't brine the wings.  Just fresh wings rinsed off and patted dry.  I then got them ready with a little ground pepper and Seminole seasoning.  The first set I then injected with Tony Chachere's Butter & Jalapeno marinade.  My girlfriend likes it hot and I like a little spice too.  Then I sprinkled them with a little olive oil and put them on the rack. I saved the bottom shelf for these just in case they were hotter than I liked.  That way any extra sauce didn't drip onto any other wings below.

Here is what they looked like

The second batch I decided to use my go to quick buffalo wing selection.  I melted a stick of butter in a pot with Franks Red Hot sauce.  I didn't measure it but it's probably a 1 to 2 or a 1 to 3 ratio of butter to franks.  I just taste it to judge.  You can do what ever tastes good to you.  Once the two are mixed well I also hit it with a little Seminole and pepper too.  Then I injected the sauce right into the wings for these wings too.

Here is the Franks rack

The final rack I decided to just do seasoned to see how the other injected wings would compair.  I seasoned them with Seminole, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.  Then while in the moment I decided to chop up some mushrooms that I had left over from a stuffing I had made the day before.  I tossed them with the wings and a little olive oil and onto the rack they go

Here is the seasoned wings rack

Kept the smoker going from 240 to 300 for 2 hours.  Moved it to 300 at the end to help crisp up the skin a bit. 

after just a bit over 2 hours here are the results

In hind sight the seasoned ones needed more seasoning.  The Tony Chachere's Butter & Jalapeno were decent and the Franks Red hot were great!  Close ups below.

I hope this helps inspire some of you to give wings a try.  A little Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the hot wings as they come out is a good extra flavor kick but we figured we were already way off our diet. 

Happy smoking!

Joe

Reactions: dwrek
Looks great !
Your right S2K9K's wings are great. Last ones I did I inject Frank's hot sauce right out of the bottle. Hot but good Thumbs Up
The injected wings are on the new year eve menu this year .

I loves me some wings! They look Great Joe!!! I like what you said, "You can do whatever tastes good to you"! I smoked some this weekend with some "Stubb's Chipotle Butter Injection", it caught my eye in the store (had never seen it before). They turned out real tasty but need more heat!

Franks make a "Hot Buffalo" that is real good, good bit of heat to it.

Keep 'em coming!!!

Hey jjerich
I am from pittsburgh as well.
Actually Pleasent Hills.
I also smoked some wings for the Steeler game on Sunday.
I dusted mine with a variety of dehydrated peppers from the garden that I ground up then smoked the wings and tossed in a mixture of franks wing sauce a little melted butter and some rooster sauce.
they made the beer go down quick.

Nice job on the wings! S2K9K's idea of injecting is nothing short of AWESOME!  I did it with legs and sprinkled with Tony's. They were great!

Mike

Good job Joe, love me some smoked chicken wings. Will have to try the injection method. Whats the Seminole Seasoning? A friend of mine

plays for the Ravens, can't believe the Steelers won that one!

Rick

Great job Joe. I discovered S2K9K's recipe almost 2 months ago. The wings came out so good that my wife demanded more wings almost immediately. I ended up injecting drumsticks and I've been doing so minimum once a week. Oddly enough I just made some tonight. It truly is a great recipe. I smoke in my MES @ 275 for about 45 minutes, then baste with creole butter/frank's hot sauce mixture and finish in 400 degree oven. One thing I found out by accident is that once done, if you tent them for about an hour, they get ridiculously tender. Well worth the wait.

Jose

I would never thought of injecting the wings as well.  I am die in the wool wing man.   rest assured this will be tried here in northwest georgia. thanks brother for the post

Making me hungry for some wings! It would be great to be able to eat them while watching the Lions game, but I would probably be risking a heart attack the way they've been playing lately.....

I haven't injected wings yet! I will have to give it a try. I have been wanting to get one of these for the next time I do wings. Has anyone used one of these?

19-b.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky