Smoked Chicken Stew with Dough Boys ( Dumplings )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Smoked Chicken Stew with Dough Boys ( Dumplings )

We like our stew with a thicker juice almost like a gravy. Have not had dough boys sense I was a boy and Mom would make them for us. It was a real treat back than. And is today also.

So I smoked some thighs at 330/345 deg. with Mesquite chunks until IT of 173 deg. Just pepper, Lawry's seasoning salt and Summer Savory for coating.
Diced up some onions, celery, sautéed, Removed the skin from the chicken sliced and diced it and added to the pot.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG
4.JPG

5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

Chopped Gr peppers, Red peppers and added to the pot cook until tender. Remove this from pot.
Add water and cook up the root veggies
Chop /dice potatoes, turnip, and carrots, boil till tender. Debone the chicken thighs.
Save 1 cup of the broth for later
Now add everything to the pot , add soya sauce, chicken soup base, black pepper, summer savory

8.JPG

Taste for flavor , mmmmmmm
Mix in a bowl the saved broth and flour to make a thickener, pour this into the pot
of the whole mix, and stir . This will thicken as it cooks up.
9.JPG

So the stew is done , and you could eat it now .....BUT I wanted Dough Boys.

In a bowl mix
1 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup milk
I added 2 tablespoons of fine chopped parsley
mix and drop by spoonful into simmering pot . Cover and DO not open for 15 minutes

10.JPG
11.JPG

After 15 minutes, ready to plate up...or I mean get the big bowl .

12.JPG

So have my bowl done up and a couple nice dinner rolls with butter.

13.JPG

picture of the dough boy cut open , cooked just right.

15.JPG

The stew was really good and the smoked chicken gave it a real nice full flavor . It was a 2 bowl meal for both of us.

Thanks for looking, Great meal for this a little cooler day of working outside.

David

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 22
Man that looks great. Bet is was good with the smoked chicken.

Thanks Adam for the like and the comment

It was really good with the smoked chicken, I thought Mona would be upset that I
smoked the chicken and added it to the stew. But I guess she was ok with it as she had
2 servings ,smaller bowls than I had. but went back for seconds.

I was going to use Apple wood , but I really like the smell of Mesquite so that is what I used

David

Thanks Adam for the like and the comment

It was really good with the smoked chicken, I thought Mona would be upset that I
smoked the chicken and added it to the stew. But I guess she was ok with it as she had
2 servings ,smaller bowls than I had. but went back for seconds.

I was going to use Apple wood , but I really like the smell of Mesquite so that is what I used

David

I dont think you can ruin any meal with smoked meat in it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I dont think you can ruin any meal with smoked meat in it.

That's what I have told her before, but than I got the eye roll .
So end of conversation. and moved on.
She is coming around with the smoke flavor , Plus I am getting better at dialing in the
smoke chunks. more flaver and not just smoke taste

David

Reactions: pc farmer
Wow David, you nailed that soup! That's how I like mine... thickened and with dumplings! Even better that your wife loved it!

Ryan

Wow David, you nailed that soup! That's how I like mine... thickened and with dumplings! Even better that your wife loved it!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

Yes it is a great stew , and supper for tomorrow also. And yes Mona had
2 bowls, its nice when they also enjoy the smoked food. And this 1 was a hit for her.
Plus she likes that she did not have to cook. lol

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Your stew looks just great. Smoked chicken and thickened broth has to be a winner.

Thanks one eye for the like and the comment

It was real good and the smoked chicken took it up a notch, and we always thicken our stews
This was a great meal after working outside in the cool day

David

Reactions: one eyed jack
Thanks one eye for the like and the comment

It was real good and the smoked chicken took it up a notch, and we always thicken our stews
This was a great meal after working outside in the cool day

David
You've inspired me David. Don't know why I hadn't thought to thicken the broth before, but I'll try it in the future. :emoji_thumbsup:

You've inspired me David. Don't know why I hadn't thought to thicken the broth before, but I'll try it in the future. :emoji_thumbsup:

Glad to hear that something I cook makes others think about trying or even using part of it to make something else of their own

That's how I do some of mine. Blending a few things I have read or seem by others .

David

Reactions: Robert H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky