Smoked chicken quarters (without rubbery skin)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IFB

Original poster
Oct 23, 2019
I don't think I've seen anyone do it so I thought I'd share my favorite method to smoke chicken quarters, legs or thighs. Basically, I apply my favorite dry rub, then sear them in oil for until golden brown and slightly crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side, then smoke until good color and 185F internal. I like how the skin is never rubbery and tough, instead, it's tender and breaks easily. I use the same method to make oven-roasted chicken, it's always a hit. In the oven, I bake at 400F, so the skin comes out very crispy. In the smoker, it's more soft than crispy due to lower cooking temperature, but it's never rubbery or tough. Here are some pics for you guys.
Smoked-Chicken-Leg-Quarters-3.jpg

Smoked-Chicken-Leg-Quarters 2.jpg

Smoked-Chicken-Leg-Quarters.jpg

Smoked-Chicken-Leg-Quarters 1.jpg

Attachments

• Smoked-Chicken-Leg-Quarters.jpg
    Smoked-Chicken-Leg-Quarters.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Beautiful looking chicken!
Congrats on getting a ride on the carousel.
However I had to take out your link to your blog.
It is not allowed.
If you are a premium member you can put the link in your signature line!
Al

Looks great! Great way to get that crispy skin everyone enjoys! Nice job!

Awesome yard bird! Like!

To avoid the rubber chicken (or turkey) skin issue, I pop mine into an oven at 425F near the end of the smoke. When the skin sizzles, start your timer and give it 2 or 3 minutes - until it looks right. Pull them and have at it.

Reactions: Slpbobr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky