Smoked Chicken Legs with Qview.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well I picked up 30  chicken legs a while back on sale for $.99lb and they were getting a bit freezer burnt so I figured I better smoke them up. I made up a type of brine/marinade and soaked them over night. Basically water, salt, and a bunch of spices. I smoked them the following day for around 4.5 hours at around 200-245 degrees. Its hard to keep my little propane smoker at lower temps but it works perfect for chicken legs. I might have  to install a needle valve on it some day.

The legs in my stock pot waiting for the liquid.

ef1a7987_DSC00447.jpg

Here are my ingredients for my brine/marinade.

5410e5d5_DSC00446.jpg

Here is the liquid.

8046fc0c_DSC00448.jpg

Legs out of the brine and waiting to go on the smoker.

6812dbaf_DSC00449.jpg

Smoker all loaded  and the AMNS going at the bottom.

3a786c54_DSC00453.jpg

Here they are all done and cooling. I will package most of these up for snacks when we are fishing  or for whatever. We just love these things.

1b34e83c_DSC00444.jpg

They look great Ross...
Looks-Great.gif

I see you are a leg man...LOL

You should toss them on a hot grill for a few minutes if you like eating the skin. Crisp them up real good.
icon14.gif
I love these just the way they are. If I was eating them for a meal or something then I would do that. These are just for snacks and the skin is my favorite part. Some don't agree with me but hey then I get to eat their skin. haha

nice legs ross..........and good idea on gettin' other's skin!

Those are some good looking chicken legs. I never brine mine. I just put rub on top of and under the skin. Does the brine make a big difference? Do you brine for about 8-10 hours?

Thanks.

Great job Ross. Looks like they are mighty tasty from here

Those are some good looking chicken legs. I never brine mine. I just put rub on top of and under the skin. Does the brine make a big difference? Do you brine for about 8-10 hours?

Thanks.
Oh man it sure  does add a load of different flavor. If I was going to be eating these for a main course for a meal I don't know that I would brine them like this I would do like you said but when you are eating them one or two at a time I just can't get enough of them and I love the flavor. I brought some with fishing last year and finally got my buddy to try one. He didn't like the idea of eating the leg cold but once he ate one he ate the whole bag. I don't think I got a taste even. We eat them cold right out of the fridge for a snack. My dad use to make these when I was a kid and that's probably why I love them so much. I have tweaked his recipe but basically it's the same as when he made it. Lots of salt in this recipe. Probably to much. You basically add enough salt to float a raw egg. Oh well I don't eat them very often so a little extra salt won't hurt me. No sense fixing something that isn't broke.

Oh and yes I like to brine them for 12-24 hours.

Last edited:
LOL, you must have some strong teeth.
biggrin.gif

Alittle to rubbery for me, but I know the chicken is still good. I actually try to avoid eating the skin totally, but sometimes it is so hard.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I love these just the way they are. If I was eating them for a meal or something then I would do that. These are just for snacks and the skin is my favorite part. Some don't agree with me but hey then I get to eat their skin. haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky