• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Cheese Questions

Derek717

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 10, 2017
So, I finally got a vacuum sealer and planning on doing some cheese this afternoon (the high will be 48°). Here's my plan based on what I've read:

1. Smoke cheese for 2-3 hours. My first go, 2 hours seemed pretty sufficient.
2. Take out and let rest overnight in fridge uncovered.
3. Vacuum seal cheese after letting it rest in fridge for 24 hour period.

Does this sound right? Also, I will create a new thread with pics if I remember to take them.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2016
Sounds right. Assuming no heat involved. I have found for me 2 hrs ain't enough but definitely a good starting place.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Your approach is sound.

Double check after the resting period to wipe away any moisture if any.

I have also found that two hours isn't enough for my taste either so next batch will go for three. However two hours is a good starting point.

Have fun and good luck,

John

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Most of us do 3-4 hours of smoke.
Al

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I usually go 3 to 4 hours on mine. Try a piece the next morning. If it isn't strong enough you can always put it back in for a hour or 2.

JCAP

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
I’ve found 2-3 hours to be perfect for me but I guess it’s all about personal preference! I vac seal right away.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 27, 2018
How did your cheese turn out? I also go about 3 hours, rest in fridge overnight, then wipe any moisture and vac seal the next day.

Derek717

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 10, 2017
How did your cheese turn out? I also go about 3 hours, rest in fridge overnight, then wipe any moisture and vac seal the next day.
Didn't try it yet. I smoked it for about 2.5 hours, put in fridge for a few mi ml utes, wiped off sweat, and vacuum sealed.

The pellets were really smoking and kind of smelled bitter, so hopefully the cheese will be ok.

mab007

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 9, 2014
I go 3 hours. Fruit wood. Overnight - Wipe - Seal. Age 6 months or more to let the flavor seep in. My 2 year old Manchego is so smooth and tasty, but the one year old is pretty good too, and who can wait that long? Just purchased my next years batch - Keisarinna, Pepper Jack, Cheddar, Gouda, Manchego, Asiago. Putting it in tomorrow.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Didn't try it yet. I smoked it for about 2.5 hours, put in fridge for a few mi ml utes, wiped off sweat, and vacuum sealed.

The pellets were really smoking and kind of smelled bitter, so hopefully the cheese will be ok.
The bitterness you smelled will mellow and disappear with the aging process. You will be pleasantly surprised.

John

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks