Smoked Cheese Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Central PA Cowboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Central PA
So, I finally got a vacuum sealer and planning on doing some cheese this afternoon (the high will be 48°). Here's my plan based on what I've read:

1. Smoke cheese for 2-3 hours. My first go, 2 hours seemed pretty sufficient.
2. Take out and let rest overnight in fridge uncovered.
3. Vacuum seal cheese after letting it rest in fridge for 24 hour period.

Does this sound right? Also, I will create a new thread with pics if I remember to take them.

How did your cheese turn out? I also go about 3 hours, rest in fridge overnight, then wipe any moisture and vac seal the next day.

Didn't try it yet. I smoked it for about 2.5 hours, put in fridge for a few mi ml utes, wiped off sweat, and vacuum sealed.

The pellets were really smoking and kind of smelled bitter, so hopefully the cheese will be ok.

I go 3 hours. Fruit wood. Overnight - Wipe - Seal. Age 6 months or more to let the flavor seep in. My 2 year old Manchego is so smooth and tasty, but the one year old is pretty good too, and who can wait that long? Just purchased my next years batch - Keisarinna, Pepper Jack, Cheddar, Gouda, Manchego, Asiago. Putting it in tomorrow.

Didn't try it yet. I smoked it for about 2.5 hours, put in fridge for a few mi ml utes, wiped off sweat, and vacuum sealed.

The pellets were really smoking and kind of smelled bitter, so hopefully the cheese will be ok.

The bitterness you smelled will mellow and disappear with the aging process. You will be pleasantly surprised.

John

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy

Rooting for you. While I do think aging/resting helps, I find pellets too strong and much prefer dust. Was total game changer for me. 5-6 hours dust for me. I am eating colby smoked for 2 hours on cob pellets a little over a year old and still a little rough tasting.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Rooting for you. While I do think aging/resting helps, I find pellets too strong and much prefer dust. Was total game changer for me. 5-6 hours dust for me. I am eating colby smoked for 2 hours on cob pellets a little over a year old and still a little rough tasting.

The particular smoke generator as well as the volume of the smoke chamber are critical when smoking cheese and butter. A mellow smoke with a gentle application over a longer period of time will produce a superior product every time. Most of the time I use a sawdust generator too, but I have an oversized drum smoker (with the lid blocked open for maximum airflow) and as long as I do the microwave drying of pellets, I can use them in an A-Maze-N tray with good results. My tube generator on the other hand produces too much smoke for my tastes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky