Smoked carp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heidi

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Lexington, Minnesota
Hello, I was wondering if any of you have ever smoked carp. When my Father found out I started smoking meat he told a story of his Father smoking carp in an old shack. His face really lite up when he told this story. I would love to bring over a plate of fish, mix him a drink and sit back and watch him enjoy something from his childhood. I have never smoked fish before and am a little nervous. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks so much and happy smoking, Heidi

HHhhmmm. . .The carp that I've always caught was fillet and then used as bait to catch catfish! I have friends that eat the stuff so let me check with them and see if thay have any ideas.

Original reply edited so I don't increase my already large post count :roll:

Ok Heidi, I made a couple of phone calls and this is what I got. . .

1) Fillet and score the carp.

2) Roll carp fillets in salt and place in glass dish. Let everything sit overnight in the fridge.

3) Rinse fillets in cold fresh running water & pat dry.

4) Place fillets in 180 deg. smoker for 4-8 hours, depending on size of fillets. Smoke with oak, maple, apple or cherry. Fish is done when meat flakes with a fork.

Hope this here gives you a starting point. Let me know how it turns out.

gut carp rince well in cold water, smoke prox.180 I use hickery, when done remove skin fork off bone hot with a little salt wow ! good cold too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky