Smoked Brussel Sprouts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 15, 2017
N.Western Pa.
I decided to smoke some brussel sprouts yesterday and they turned out pretty good. The pics are not the greatest.

A dozen sprouts
5-13-18 brussells sprouts2.JPG

Some green onions

5-13-18 brussells sprouts4.JPG

Bacon of course

5-13-18 brussells sprouts.JPG

Smoked for 1 hour at 250 using AMNPS w/cherry pellets
5-13-18 brussells sprouts8.JPG

Added sprouts to the bacon grease, added a little evoo, salt and pepper and a can of chicken broth along with the onions and a pinch of sugar. Let simmer until they reach the desired tenderness then drain broth.
5-13-18 brussells sprouts11.JPG

Served with a delmonico steak
5-13-18 brussells sprouts10.JPG

Last edited:
Those look good. I usually do them on the weber grill pan, but in half, little olive oil and salt and pepper and throw them on the pellet grill for an hour.

Very creative Denny, I like to see people doing things outside the box. thats how I get ideas.[/QUOTE

Thanks Doug me too. It's always good to see how someone else does things

Those look good. I usually do them on the weber grill pan, but in half, little olive oil and salt and pepper and throw them on the pellet grill for an hour.

Thanks Geebs. Next time throw a little bacon into the mix...everything is better with bacon!

I'll give ya my secret to try. Add apple juice to a microwave steamer. Steam Sprouts for 3 to 4 mins on high. Then I shisk-a-bob them. Then smoke as long or as short as you like cause they are done. Those are little pieces of apple between 'em. I think yours look and sound great, but if you are ever on a short timer and we've all been there. Maybe the mac and cheese was just being obstinate and ya need a side. I like the rest above like sprouts!

024.JPG

I've never found a Brussel Sprout that I liked. Is this a PA thing?
To be honest those look good. I don't know if it's because I'm hungry or I've had a few glasses of bourbon?
The creativity everyone has here is amazing and anything with bacon has a chance at my house.
That spouts with the steak looks very tasty.

I had never tried them until I moved to KC and my wife’s family eats them with almost every meal. They do theirs in a sautee pan. I prefer mine to have a char to them. I also refuse to cook them inside as I find the smell of them baking lingers in the house and I hate the smell they give off, but dang do I love the flavor.

Those look good. We eat a lot of Brussels sprouts. One thing I would try is quickly boiling down the drained liquid and drizzling it over the top.

They look pretty darn good to me Denny!
I love brussel sprouts, but never thought to try smoking them!
Al

Spouts are a love / hate thing for many. Unfortunately a number who do not like them stems from being served mushed over cooked versions. Smoking them sounds wonderful and I have to try that!

For those still not sure, try a very simple prep and learn what they really taste like.
1. Cut off the stem end and peal off the outer leaf layer.
2. Slice in half, stem to top
3. place in a pot of boiling water with 1-2 tbs of dissolved chicken bouillon.
4. cook for 6m30s.
5. drain then stir in 1 tbs of butter until totally melted
6. serve (if desired sprinkle a 'little' freshly grated parmesan reggiano)

I'll give ya my secret to try. Add apple juice to a microwave steamer. Steam Sprouts for 3 to 4 mins on high. Then I shisk-a-bob them. Then smoke as long or as short as you like cause they are done. Those are little pieces of apple between 'em. I think yours look and sound great, but if you are ever on a short timer and we've all been there. Maybe the mac and cheese was just being obstinate and ya need a side. I like the rest above like sprouts!

View attachment 363898
Foamheart, I like the sound of the apple juice and apple pieces. I will give that a try sometime.

I've never found a Brussel Sprout that I liked. Is this a PA thing?
To be honest those look good. I don't know if it's because I'm hungry or I've had a few glasses of bourbon?
The creativity everyone has here is amazing and anything with bacon has a chance at my house.
That spouts with the steak looks very tasty.

Thank you Texomakid.
I could take them or leave them when I was a kid. If they are mushy or overcooked as Schlotz said in his post above, they are beyond terrible. Put some extra bacon in them and.give them a try sometime for something different. I wouldn't be surprised if you liked them -with or without the bourbon!

Reactions: texomakid
I had never tried them until I moved to KC and my wife’s family eats them with almost every meal. They do theirs in a sautee pan. I prefer mine to have a char to them. I also refuse to cook them inside as I find the smell of them baking lingers in the house and I hate the smell they give off, but dang do I love the flavor.

Mine could have stood a little more time in the smoker and in the pan.

Those look good. We eat a lot of Brussels sprouts. One thing I would try is quickly boiling down the drained liquid and drizzling it over the top.
Thanks myownidaho, normally the liquid is boiled down, but my timing was off on the meal and the meat was done well before I wanted it to be. I usually don't think of sprouts and only eat them 5 or 6 times a year...I'm going to try to change that.

They look pretty darn good to me Denny!
I love brussel sprouts, but never thought to try smoking them!
Al
Thanks Al.
They could have stood a little more smoke and a little more char but all in all they were very good. Sounds to me like you need to try this and add some of your own bacon!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky