Smoked Brined Chicken ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great thread from 1-2 years ago.
Great thread, foamheart, " do it or don't smoke it " love it. I am curious about the corn cob pellets in my pellet stove, can't wait to try it .

Reactions: zwiller
Great thread from 1-2 years ago.
Great thread, foamheart, " do it or don't smoke it " love it. I am curious about the corn cob pellets in my pellet stove, can't wait to try it .

They have a really pretty color. I had never heard of corn cob smoke either but my Pop said thats what they used in W.Texas, well that and post oak. Hope ya like it.

Reactions: Hardwood
Hi Guys, GREAT reading!
I wonder if I can get a little hand holding or recipe suggestion....
I have posted here before and did two chickens following instructions on a spicy brine and rub with a mix of mesquite & hickory. I got no complaints or leftovers. I smoked mac-n-cheese too.

Here it is years since and I want to to a couple birds but not like the last.
Reading here I read your great info but see choices, you can do this or that..... try this or that..... and that's good but I am a beginner at best.

There are too many things to choose from,
Can you put me onto to something simple. I'll brine, get my wood, birds spices, all ingredients from Wal-Mart, hickory or mesquite. (I have not seen other woods there)
I have a small fan like you guys do.
Below is a pic of my smoker, two birds on the top rack. I normally put the chips in foil on the lava, there is a drip bowl if you guys think it needs something or .......... I if dry I am to leave it so the heat goes around it up the sides circulating to the top? Not sure.

Thought I would take a chance and ask......

7_in_1_600.jpg

here is two other threads containing brined birds with recipes and a nekkid chicken smoke I like also.

Smoked Chicken w/ Q-View: (Brined)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152772/basic-brined-smoked-chicken

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/153699/national-finals-and-smoked-chicken

Smoked Chicken w/Q-View: (Nekkid)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/156212/nekkid-chicken-foamheart

Good luck, they are to-to easy so I doubt you'll have any problems. The biggest key in my humble opinion, is to sufficiently dry with a good pellicle formation. Everything else is just downhill. I suggest a lighter smoke if you are doing poultry, but that is all up to you. if you do a heavy like hickory, use a light hand loading the smoker with it.

Merry Christmas!

I'm thinking apple or pecan from Lowes. Its a hassle to add chips later, as you can see by my cooker. So I wet them and wrap two foil logs with fork holes on the lava rocks at start up.

Either wood is good apple would be a lighter smoke flavor than pecan. Depending on what temperature your going to run the smoker may affect what type wood you want to use.

Reactions: gapi
I'm going to do the 1st one but it doesn't say how much Tabasco and how much thyme in the brine.
I take it T is a table spoon and t is a teaspoon?

I'm going to do the 1st one but it doesn't say how much Tabasco and how much thyme in the brine.
I take it T is a table spoon and t is a teaspoon?

When I don't show amounts, it is so you can do what you like, if you like a little heat add some tabasco, if you don't really like it hot, just add a little. The same with thyme. I am a coonazz and we like thyme. its not spicy its just an earthy flavor like bay. Big T =Tablespoon, little t = teaspoon.

Thanks for the holiday response,
They are coming out of the brine @1 and going on the smoker soon after. I would like to know how much you put in. I didn't do much but I'd like to gauge off of a coonazz dose. :emoji_wink:
I went with coonazz a gal for 5 years out of Morgan City. Man! The gumbo's and everything else are memorable. The family made their living off of crabs and oil rig shuttling.

The birds (2) are on and steady @250°F and as I see the smoke I can't help but wonder what you guys consider a light hand at the smoke.
I have a lightly wet cup &1/2 of Lowes pecan chips wrapped in foil with fork holes poked in it. My cooker doesn't make it easy to add wood later so the foil log helps string it out.

To a very green horn this can mean anything. How much wood total do you use for a single bird?

OK, all done and one bird eaten. They came out great, and much juicier than expected. I let them get to 165°F before pulling them, confirming with a ThermoPop in various places. I use a wireless unit as they are cooking and check with the Pop.
I didn't flip them, I had them leaning up on each other necks down breasts out.
4lb birds, 4.5hrs @ 225-250. I did put the fan on them for a little while, not sure if long enough but the skin was pretty thin cooked.

Thanks guys.

4lbs_12_25_19.jpg

Sorry for the slow response.

I looked all thru my computer and couldn't find a chart on types of smoke. There should be plenty on line but IMHO hard woods are oak, hickory, mesquite they are used for longs smokes at first. Like beef or pork which will be longer smokess. I say pecan is the middle ground, its a darker color but not near the blatant smoke taste as hard smokes. Most everything else is a light smoke. tour fruits, nuts and softwoods. Heavy is the real hardwoods.

Thyme and bay are or were the Louisiana staples. Most of the old cajun homes had a bay tree for leaves, thyme plants around the house and sassafras tree in back ( the leave are ground to make file. As to how much just pick a place to start, add a teaspoon, add a tablespoon, more or less to find what you like and no one can do that but you and those you feed. For instance my Pop loved smoked meat, my mom wouldn't eat his. She liked mine because when smoking for her, like most ladies, they don't like heavy smoke, so I used light smoke. I vary my types, and my amounts, my temps. They all give you a different result on the same meat.

You said how juicy they were, that's the brine working. The herbs and spices are just flavor modifiers in the brine, so the size of the meat, as well as the amount of brine time and type (density) of the meat all matter with the way the brine is infused. But I am about to get long winded.

It appears you did a great job on those yardbirds. Now you just have to keep saying how you need to keep practicing to hone your skills. As long as they come out like that, you'll definately get to do more.

I know I am late to this post... Thank you foamheart! That is one amazing looking bird, can only imagine the taste. I haven't smoked any poultry, yet. My son and I are going to give it a shot tomorrow. This post has so much information that we hope it goes well!

Yes, lightly with Pecan wood.
I have another in the brine now, Same brine, did the sugar, salt, onion and garlic clove in the blender. Everything.
Bumped the tobasco way up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky