Smoked Blue Fish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by smokin for life, Aug 19, 2007.

1. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ok I'm trying fish for the first time today. I'm brining them in water, soy sauce, brown sugar, regular sugar, garlic, onion, and a little pepper. The fillets are around 1 1/2 lbs.each so I'llleave them in the brine for around 2 hours. My question is, after they come out of the brine do I put any kind of a rub on them or just pop them in the smoker.I figure about 2 or 3 hours at 200.

2. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

not sure about blue fish, but I think after the brine you will want to leave them out with maybe a fan blowing to start the peticule on them first....makes me think I gotta get some salmon here myself........v[​IMG]

3. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hey thanks a lot smoked I do remember reading that now. That's what they're doing now, just sitting under the fan for 1 hour then off to the smoker.

4. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

good luck with them then and let us know....... [​IMG]

5. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I don't brine them, so can't help. Really I cannot see why not. I usually add black pepper, Everglades Heat, Lemon Pepper and alittle Garlic pepper.

6. bigarm's smokin

bigarm's smokin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I agree with smoked, you need the pellicle to form before smoking.Other wise, the fish would be mushy. I think I would season them before the drying process cause a hard surface appears when the pellicle is formed. If any part of my response is incorrect, its Gypsys fault cause he has taught me ever thing I know,(and I still don't know nothin)[​IMG] Terry

7. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

How were those blue fish??? We done blue fish a couple of times, the big tide runner fillets. Once I did a simple lemon pepper seasoning and once we did some kind of garlic sauce I got at the supermarket...everyone loved doing blue fish in the smoker.