Smoked Bison Chuck Roast (Que-Vu)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Happy Sunday All!
Today I am smoking a Bison (Buffalo) Chuck Roast.
I was able to get one from a local farm here. I have never smoked one, so hopefully it turns out.
I decided to use the PBC with oak. I cut the roast into 1/2 to hang in the PBC.
I marinated/brine the roast to take in as much moisture as possible into this very lean cut of meat. I used beer, salt, garlic, black pepper, onion, red pepper, and sugar.
I let it brine/marinate for 12 hours.
Then onto the pit for a nice cook, I plan on pulling it when the IT reaches 150 and let it rest before serving.

IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

I will post finally pics when it is done.

Thanks for looking

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Hey all,
Sorry I did not get the pictures up quicker, we lost internet, then I was out of town... blah, blah, blah...
Anyway,
It turned out good, it was a bit tougher then I wanted, but for the first attempt I thought it turned out pretty darn good.

Couple pictures....

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0380 (1).JPG

Thanks for looking.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Reactions: gmc2003
MB sorry this came out tougher then you expected. Any pointers on getting it a little more tender? We have a couple of Bison farms in VT. and I always wanted to try it.

Point for sure.

Chris

MB sorry this came out tougher then you expected. Any pointers on getting it a little more tender? We have a couple of Bison farms in VT. and I always wanted to try it.

Point for sure.

Chris
Chris,
It was not too tough, but I wanted a bit more tender.
Next time I will do a couple things different. 1) I will pull it at 130 and wrap it. 2) I will let it rest longer than 15 minutes.
Flavor wise it was spot on.

Thanks for the point!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Looks great! I'm smoking one tomorrow....what kind of wood chips did you use?
Chris,
It was not too tough, but I wanted a bit more tender.
Next time I will do a couple things different. 1) I will pull it at 130 and wrap it. 2) I will let it rest longer than 15 minutes.
Flavor wise it was spot on.

Thanks for the point!

Smoke ON!

- Jason
Thanks for posting the pics....it looks delicious! Any thoughts on brining it for more than 12 hours?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky