SMOKED BELLY BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Different pieces of meat reabsorb different amounts of the juices.

If you cure for 8, 10, 12, or 14 days, or whatever proper length of time, whatever is left is left.

The important thing is to not dump it out until your curing time is over.

Once the meat is cured, it's no longer needed.

Bear
Well never dumped nuthin. Just reading. After 12 days, juice is absorbed.
439.gif
 Waiting to slice. Respect all you post.
77.gif

It will be good

Gary

Haven't smoked anything in a week gotta find something to cure and smoke

Gary

Oh man that BACON Looks amazing!!!  Well done,

I'm about to pull one of our pig bellies out of the freezer and get it going. 

Thanks for all the detailed pictures as well. 

I love that Belly Bacon

Gary

Good evening All (from South Africa)

My serious "smoking career" is about to begin and I cannot wait for my electric smoking cabinet to be delivered in a couple of days.  I have tried to do the hot smoking thing with good results, but have realised that smoking is more of an art ... it takes patience, time, dedication, and an intense interest in getting it right.  Not to mention the experimentation and the joy of sharing good-tasting food with friends, family and those who cross your path.

OK ... the smoked belly bacon question.  I bow to the expert knowledge I notice here, but why is the skin removed?  (Bare in mind that I have not smoked bacon yet ....)  The bacon we buy locally usually comes with the skin still attached.

Please enlighten me?

Spring is here and we are entering a lovely time of the year.  Especially for the local retired community who share ....

Regards

Francois

U don't have to take it off some like it some don't. I take it off because we don't care for the rine as we call it here in the south. I do make cracklings out the skin.

U don't have to take it off some like it some don't. I take it off because we don't care for the rine as we call it here in the south. I do make cracklings out the skin.
Does the rind (as we call it locally) affect the taste?  Or perhaps the time it needs to be smoked? Perhaps I should try both ways?

Thanks Hank!

I've done it both ways can't tell any sufferance I take it off because we don't like rine. Fill free to pm me if u need any help

Last edited:

Does the rind (as we call it locally) affect the taste?  Or perhaps the time it needs to be smoked? Perhaps I should try both ways?

Thanks Hank!
If you want to eat it, leave it on or smoke it separate.

I take it off because I don't plan on eating it, so why should I bother to cure it & smoke it.

Also the part I'm going to eat gets smoked better without the smoke having to go through the rind to get to it.

Link:

Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me Gary.  one question: I watched an experienced fellow on YouTube cold smoke his pork belly at 80 degrees F. for 4 hours only.  He stated that 4 hours is all he needs but a longer period is a personal choice.  You smoke at 125 for a much longer period.  I tried the 80-90 degrees and the smoke infusion was OK for me but I was thinking more on the texture of the belly after the 4 hours at 80 and how it might compare to the 125 that you do. Personally, I wasn't satisfied with the cooked texture on it.  Have you ever tried cold smoking at a lower temp?

roger  

Looks pretty good to me Gary.  one question: I watched an experienced fellow on YouTube cold smoke his pork belly at 80 degrees F. for 4 hours only.  He stated that 4 hours is all he needs but a longer period is a personal choice.  You smoke at 125 for a much longer period.  I tried the 80-90 degrees and the smoke infusion was OK for me but I was thinking more on the texture of the belly after the 4 hours at 80 and how it might compare to the 125 that you do. Personally, I wasn't satisfied with the cooked texture on it.  Have you ever tried cold smoking at a lower temp?

roger  
I don't think Gary will mind if I take this one:

I do my Bacon smoking with 110° to 130° smoker temp.

I find that I can get better flavor & color with a Warm smoke like that. IMHO

I've done a few Cold Smokes, and you can get good color & flavor that way too, but it takes at least twice as long, and in my opinion the flavor is not as intense as with a "Little" heat added.

Link:

Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

Last edited:
Thank you very Bear! That is what I'm looking for.  The experience that you fellas have. I followed the 80 degrees for 4 hours but wasn't happy with the results.  Your info makes sense for the flavour that I'm looking for because there was definitely something missing.. Great form & great contributors.

roger 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky