Smoked beets with za'atar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

db28472

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Whiteville, NC
I've been wanting to use za'atar, a middle eastern spice mix that is mostly roasted thyme. I ran across a recipe for puréed beets with za'atar and so I took that idea and made my version. First I cleaned 6 medium sized beets and saved the leaves. In an aluminum pan I drizzled the larger cut end with olive oil then sprinkled garlic powder, salt and pepper. I then gave them a good covering with za'atar.

I already had my SI #2 going on some pastrami but I added 3 oz of cherry and placed the foil pan in the smoker set at 250 uncovered. After 3 hours I checked them and they needed a bit more time so I pulled them out and put them into my oven at 400 for an hour. I poured a bit more olive oil and added about 2 oz of water then covered with foil. After an hour they came out fork tender.
At this point I peeled them then cubed them. I tossed them with feta cheese crumbles and walnut pieces. Drizzle oilive oil, added more za'atar, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. I also sautéed the beet leaves with olive oil and about 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic. Here's how they turned out. Sorry for blurry photo but was rushing to get dinner on the table.

I agree with Leah. Beautiful job with the beets, and a recipe I've marked for future use.

Za'atar works very well with poultry as Mick says. A chicken recipe (not mine) that I've made in the past with good success follows.

Grilled Chicken with Za'atar

Ingredients:
  • 2 heads of garlic, top third cut off
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 3-4-pound chicken, cut in half lengthwise, backbone removed
  • 1/4 cup Za'atar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest and 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1-2 serrano chiles, seeded, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Cumin Aioli
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven or grill to 400°. Put garlic on a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and wrap tightly with foil. Roast until tender and golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Let cool.
  • Place chicken in a 13x9x2" glass baking dish. Sprinkle 2 1/2 tablespoons za'atar over chicken. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves out of skins and into a small bowl; mash into a paste with the back of a fork. Add 4 tablespoons oil, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, chile, and marjoram; whisk to blend. Pour over chicken; turn to coat. Cover; chill overnight.
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Brush grill rack with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until skin is crisp and browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deepest part of thigh without touching bone reads 150°-155°, about 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon za'atar, and let rest 10 minutes.
  • Cut each chicken half into 4 pieces and serve on a platter with Cumin Aioli.
Obviously,  the chicken could be smoked for a period of time before finishing in the oven or grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky