Smoked Beef Tenderloin...It's Whats For Dinner. With Q-View

Discussion in 'Beef' started by gotarace, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Went to the market looking for my next smoking victim and i came across this whole 4.75 lb beef tenderloin on sale. In the cart it went and the excitement grew for a tasty beef dinner.[​IMG]Here is the loin before the trimming began..[​IMG]Out of the package it came and i started to trim the silver skin and other small pieces of fat from it. To make the smoke easier i cut the loin in two so it fit the rack easier.[​IMG]Here is the trimmed loin after the silver skin was removed. Note the top left piece is folded with the small tail tucked up against the larger end. I did this to help make the two pieces of loin closer to the same thickness...trying to get them to cook at the same rate. I secured the tail to the lager end with some wood skewers to keep it in place during the smoke...i wished i had butchers string but the skewers worked fine.[​IMG]I kept the seasoning simple... sprinkling both sides with garlic powder..onion powder...and hand ground black pepper. 

I preheated the Mes to 240...filled the A-Maze-N with hickory...lit both ends and let the smoke begin.

I smoked the beef until i hit a IT of 122* ...going for a rare tenderloin treat !!!

When the loin hit 117 i lit my gas grill and heated that baby up as hot as i could get it...because when the meat hit 122* this loin got a quick reverse sear on the grill. It only stayed on the grill long enough to brown up the outside...hoping to seal in some juices.

[​IMG]I tented the loin for 30 minutes and let the cutting begin...note the bowl of juices top right..i drained this off the platter before cutting...wow what a taste treat to top the beef with!!! This loin was like cutting butter...excellent smoked flavor and rare just like i love good beef.[​IMG]Warning... Bear View!!! Look away if you don't like rare beef...lol

It was told to me years ago ...you can take rare out of beef but you can never put it back in.

Al's wife would be in heaven right here...

[​IMG]We had the loin with fried potatoes and corn on the cob...a excellent meal !!!

Thanks for checking out my Q-view.....Len

raptor700 likes this.
  2. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Awesome smoke Len,

That's the way I like mine, Pink and juicy.

Bear will love this one,  Meat and taters........you can't beat it!

[​IMG]

3. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow, that's a beautiful chunk of meat. Love mine all bloody and stuff too! [​IMG]

4. Thanks for the kind words Rap...it was great today also.

Thank you Squirrel...was a excellent piece of smoked meat.

5. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

NIIIICE!! I'm gonna have to put this on the short list, now!  I love mine rare, too. Thanks for a great q-view and the clear explanation on the reverse sear. Cheers!

6. Thanks Barbe...it was easy to make and the results were excellent. [​IMG]

7. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice! I just did one a week or so ago. Unforunatley it was very windy & hard time smoking. It got too much smoke & also a little to dry. Owell ate it anyway ' get to try again

8. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Damn that's just beautiful. I can't find them my way. They slice them up and charge 20.00 a pound, no way. [​IMG]

9. Thanks for the props Terry...That's the great thing about smoking we can usually eat our mistakes. This one worked out well...loin is great chewing when it is on the rare side.

Thank you for the compliment Meateater...$20.00 a pound [​IMG]  I would leave it in the store also...

10. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man that is  one beautiful hunk of meat. Great job. I could eat a big plate of that

11. Thank You Scar...It was a great piece of meat and i may have to head down and get one for the freezer!!! Can't have enough meat in the smoking reserve. [​IMG]

12. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks great

13. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is one great looking meal!   [​IMG]

14. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

This is a great looking tenderloin soft a juicy[​IMG]

15. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Perfect!!

Awesome money shot!!

Craig

16. Thank you Brian..

Thanks Al...Judy would love this tenderloin..Done just the way she likes it!!

Thank you Meat...It was a Tender piece of loin..[​IMG]

17. Thank you Craig....was a great meal and i'm still eating it...tough job but i'm just the guy for the job....lol

18. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[email protected]#$%^&*(----I'm so glad I didn't miss this one!!!!

Awesome BearViews too !!!!

Mrs Bear makes those exact same pan fried taters when we have fresh sausage!---MMMMmmmm.

Now there's something wrong with my iMac !!!--------I zoomed in on that beautiful plate, and I can't seem to make the exploded picture go away.

Could be a problem with my mouse, or maybe the hand controlling it.  [​IMG]

WHAT A PLATE  !!!!!

Thanks a lot, Len !!!

Bear

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  19. Thank you much Bear...I know how much you love those Bear Views...I had to get a few closeup shots. Was a Great Smoke and i will do one again real soon...[​IMG]

20. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

great looking plate my friend [​IMG]