Smoked Beef Short Ribs...... Gnocchi Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbally

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 24, 2007
Western Colorado
Had some short ribs to use up in the freezer.  I think the problem with short ribs is to many people try and eat them like ribs.  I use them a little differently.

I find it best made into a stew.  A nice Gnocchi short rib stew.  Of course we should smoke and low and slow them for maximum flavor.

shortibs2.JPG

Add some oak and hickory smoke.  And they will finish up nicely.

hickoryoak.JPG

shorts1.JPG

Let them cool overnight and the next day start the vegetables sweating down.

trinitysweat.JPG

After sweating the trinity it is time to start adding the rest of the vegetables, while they start to sweat it is time to bone the ribs out and get the meat sliced up.

vegetables.JPG

V8base.JPG

shortribsfinish.JPG

bonedshorts.JPG

emptypan.JPG

Starting to fill the pot up.  Taking the potato and run it through the ricer. Then add the egg and flour and run it through the gnocchi machine.  Let them dry in a bowl for a while.  When they have stiffened up time to add the beef stock to heat them back up and start the pasta process.  Technically a dumpling, but still can easily be consider a potato pasta.

gnocciextrude.JPG

Make up some pan drippings into a beef stock and thicken it with some corn starch.

pandrippings.JPG

Then this starts to fill the pot up.

gnocciwarmed.JPG

fillinguppot.JPG

finishing.JPG

addedtostew.JPG

alldone.JPG

Then you bowl it and eat it.  Was very good.

bowled.JPG

Yum!!  What great looking comfort food!  Gnocchi are my son's favorite pasta, but I've yet to make them quite as good as he'd like! Our local restaurant sets that bar pretty high.

Bob - we make them by hand. What is a gnocci machine?

I made olive gardens chicken gnocchi soup today . Stuf is fantastic ,Glad i made 3 gallons

no bread? yer slackin' bob.........................looks good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky